Worried about the wrong fish...

[Out of all the fish in our tank, if we want to introduce a new fish, we have to worry about what the purple tang will do. The female gold-stripped maroon chases everyone off from time to time, but has not literally attacked something. Anyway, I got a bi-color blenny and watched for the next two weeks and all seemed to be well. Looked like nobody really cared he was there. That made me feel at ease. Well, yesterday I almost fell on the floor with laughter. I had just gotten home from work and was winding down by looking at the tank. The bi-color likes to stop on this one ledge on a top rock when he is not swimming around. He was there and the purple tang was casually swimming by. He jumps off his perch and bites the purple tang in the butt!!! :laugh long: The purple tang's reaction was almost as funny as he bolted off, not knowing what hit him. No damage to the tang, but a funny site to see none-the-less. Guess I was concerned about the wrong fish in this case. :laugh:]

[Sounds like your purple is like mine MEAN!
I bought a Heniochus (false moorfish, I guess) last week and put him in my display. I have seen the purple tang beat up on a few new arrivals like the copperband a few months back. The Heniochus got the whooping of a lifetime. I have never seen the purple so aggitated. He was literally body slamming him against the rocks and biting him all over. After 10 minutes of trying to scare off the purple, I gave up and moved him to the 55. His fins were battered and nipped but he looks as good as new now. I can't belive how fast fish heal..]

[Fish do seem to heal pretty fast if in general good health. From time to time, the clowns will have a ripped fin....heals within a couple weeks. Our velvet fairy wrasse (my favorite) seems to be the target of the clowns and purple at times. She is the fastest thing in the tank and usually gets away. However, I will come home and find a battle wound (probably more due to scrapeing against the rock than an actual fish bite). Again, within a couple weeks, all is well.]

[Your story reminded me of a recent crab battle I witnessed.

I checked in on my tank and noticed my emerald crab in an awkard position and not moving. I thought he was dead.

But, then on closer inspection, I saw my Zebra hermit crab, with his big claw, clamping down on one of the emerald crabs, last section (toe I guess) of one of his back legs.

Emerald crab couldn't move!!! I don't know how long they had been like that. I got the handle end of the net in and had to 'peck' at the Zebra to get him to let go. Whew! Then everyone started moving normally again.

I've started watching more closely now and my Zebra crabs are MEAN!!!! But, emerald crab (Popeye because his arms are so large) seems to be holding his own and going after him with tonights feeding anyway.

Just thought I'd share,

Jan]