Will GFO cause SPS to RTN?

If you add too much gfo it can cause a very rapid decrease in alkalinity, ph as well as phosphates, which will cause issues with sps. You can have bleaching effects and rtn issues as well as irritate coral's if you don't rinse the gfo well enough, and let the "fines" enter the tank. Since gfo reduces dissolved organics, the increased light levels reaching the corals can cause bleaching. Pretty sure the drop in alk/phis the driving cause of the rtn event. See this article. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php

Cheers,

I had a similar issue with gfo and sps a couple of years ago. I would remove the gfo and get things back to normal and then maybe start with a smaller dosage next time.

I would think that if you used too much gfo on the exchange that all the damage has been done at this point. Things should level out for now. Have you tested your water as of yet??

Would you please explain precisely how you added the GFO to your system? How it is done is crucial, and I don't know if you understood that point. Explain step by step.

I would also think that the damage is already done now and since your phospate level is down, it's make sense to keep it down. As long as you don't let the your gfo stay past it's effectiveness, you shouldn't have this issue again imo.

Cheers,

Do you have the water flow going through the reactor partially closed or is it wide open?

Oh, if you want to replace the yellow milli let me know mine is over grown and I'll give you a big frag if you want.

I routinely change out my carbon every two weeks, it doesn's really even last that long but it works for me. The gfo get changed every 2 months max or sooner if I start getting a lot of algae growth on the glass. It depends really on how much you make it work, you can test the effluent output every couple of weeks or so to see if the media is still doing it's job. That will give you an idea of the replacement schedule thats good for your tank. [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,