Wichita Falls!

Whats up Wichita Falls,
I hope everyone's reefs are doing amazing, I know we yet have had a chance to meet but, maybe sometime in the future. Treading waters on another idea, want to see what you guys think. I've noticed that we have the common folks that we know come on here and then we have some folks that live in WF that don't come often/new folks, which is cool, here is the idea. Basically, what I was thinking about is to maybe have some kind of seminar. It could be anything from "how to set up a saltwater tank" to "tank parameters" to "anything". Basically, if someone in the forum has questions/wants to know about anything we could taylor to that. There wouldn't be a "teacher" of sort but maybe if we do host one the WF folks can collaborate together on it for that person or persons (if you know what I mean). I think it would give us a chance to meet and learn from each other. Anyway, just thought i'd put that outhere, let us know your thoughts. Any ideas? Thanks, -G

The big question is how to contact other people in the area who don't know of the Site.
Petco won't let you post fliers.
I don't know if natures half acre has that many Marine customers or if they would let you post.
jerryclunsford

Good point/input jerry, Ill tell you what, ill call NHA and see if they will let us post some type of flier. I wonder if we need permission from the forum to do that?

I wouldn't think so it could increase their membership some.
It would be nice if we catch new people before they set up their tanks.
Get them started right.
I ran in to a guy who works at Petco on another forum.
He started his tank after he started working there.
They aren't any help to him at all, They don't know enough to help him when he has problems.
I also learned that the Petco can special order fish, coral etc for you. They told me they couldn't.
What we really need is a decent LFS in the area.
jerryclunsford

Don't know where he lives.
Tried to get him to come to the forum but he hasn't.
Are you familiar with Microb-lift Nite-out.
He was using it and has to keep adding it.
I used Instant Ocean Bio-Spira and have not had to add any at all.

I called NHA and the manager was not in. When i got off the phone the weirdest question popped in my head. "Do we really want a place like NHA advertising this forum?" I mean, have you all ever been there? Its pretty bad. The animals look bad and there is always dead fish in the tanks. The crazy thing about it is that everything is so overpriced!!!!!! Im just not sure if thats a place we want to network with, they arent receptive at all, and have bad reviews on google. Does it have to be a pet shop we post flyers on? Also called petsmart, they said no aswell, basicallysaying that since they do not have a bulletin/info board anywhere they cant post?? Anyway, we will figure it out, lmk what you alls thoughts are on contacting NHA, we'll make a consensus together.

I'm anti NHA.
Everything I've learned has been on this forum. I've been led many different directions by them, and only now is my tank good. If it were left to them, I'd probably have gone bankrupt and bowed out of saltwater.
I say absolutely not.

The NIte-Out is a beneficial bacteria to help cycle the tank.

I have no first hand knowledge of NHA based on what I have heard probably best to pass on it.
May be we can get on Texhoma's home page or some other local website.
They might have a groups section.

Why not just set up some meet and greets on DFWMAS, I have been a member for almost a year and unfortunately haven't made a meeting or event. All those bacteria in a bottles are useless in my opinion, get some liverock and start a cycle. I have very few reefers in my area and DFWMAS has been very accepting and helpful. You can arrange pickups for groupbuys or create your own local group orders from locals or some of the better companies and at least get free shipping. Just my .02 but this forum is well worth the $$ just in knowledge.

I wonder if there is an easy way to get a list of all forum members in the area to contact them.
But some of them might not want to be contacted.
You can sort the member list by location. Don't know how long it would take to get them all contacted though.

Ok, we will pass on NHA, no prob. We will do something else. Jerry, i dont dose bacteria. We will see what others say, but in my opinion there just isnt a need for that. One time i cycled a buddies tank with my water changes, i thought that was cool but usually just use some rock or sand. He shouldnt have to keep adding it.

It is one of the things that new people get told to do when no one knows what really to do or the are in a hurry to get their tank together.
I cycled mine with bio-spira. Worked good but not the best eay now that I know better.

I wonder how much unnecessary stuff they would try to sell you if you walked into a place Petco and told them you wanted to start a saltwater tank and knew nothing about it.
When I bought my clown fish the person in the fish department tried to tell me I had have special red clown fish food pellets.
"Because they were tank bred and raised they only eat that"
I always read that tank captive bred were less finicky than wild caught.
I did not buy the "special" food and they are doing fine so far. Only 9 months though so they could be slowly dieing of starvation.
I guess that no one told them they had to have special food.

I never walk into a petshop of any kind acting like I know what I'm doing, I give them a chance to ask if not I listen and smile going, really that sounds amazing. I find very few shops are humble and honest when they think they have a newbie on the hook. So long as they dont' get down right rediculous I typically never let them know the truth.

Something i didnt think about is that i work out at sheppard, ill call a couple places around the base with bullentin boards and see if i can post there, i guess the worst they can say is no right? Worth a try, i know its a small town but im sure more than 6-7 people have tanks.

There has to be people around here. It can't be just the few of us on here, keeping NHA and Petco in the saltwater business.
G... Do you get much response from Craigslist when you post? Maybe posting there could help?

Hey thats a good idea, i get responses but they are seldom and havent sold frags in a while. But ill go in and make a post just for that