why to use a refractometer

hnurge

Premium Member
Staff member
so when i got back into the hobby at the beginning of the year i had several instruments for measuring salinity. i had an old swing arm hygrometer, a small floating glass hygrometer, and one large floating glass hygrometer from wine making. i mixed up a few test batches of salt and they all read *roughly* the same, so i started using the small glass hygrometer for everything since then. while i didn't have many doubts to its accuracy, it did have issues with precision, as surface tension made it hard to be certain of a reading beyond .005 SG.

so I've been seeing some odd things. for one, my calcium and alkalinity seemed to keep rising. after a water change ill have calcium at 520 and alk at 14 .. so i should have precipitation.. but no. after the next water change its 550 and 18, etc. the hard corals seem to be doing fine, but some of the softies (xenia in particular) are not. having trouble growing phyto even though there are no problems at all with the freshwater green water using a similar setup.

so i ordered a refractometer, mostly because i wanted a new toy (not because i thought i needed one). it arrived today, i tested it with RO water and verified it was calibrated, then tested my tank. 1.032 SG. thinking the refractometer must need more calibration i pull out the glass hygrometer and measure - 1.025. so i go back to the RO and verify the calibration, measure again, still 1.032 SG. on a whim, i tap my glass hygrometer on the table upside down a few times and measure 1.027... tap tap tap.. 1.029.. tap tap tap... 1.031.. dang. apparently every time i dropped the hygrometer into the cylinder the paper moved a bit, and Ive been slowly raising my salinity over the past few months.

so refractometer it is :) lesson learned. now.. how slowly should i go about lowering the salinity back down to a reasonable number....

I wouldn't even be slow about it. Get it down by removing saltwater and adding RO/DI water as its replacement. 1.032 is very high; get it down to 1.026sg / 35ppt I'd bring it down in two day's time, come to think of it. 1.028 tonight, and 1.026 by tomorrow night.

How big is your tank? If you are taking out 10g of saltwater to add 10g of RO/DI water, I'd probably do two gallons per hour, instead of 10g at once. ;)

thank you :) 2 days it is.
its a small micro reef so changing the salinity is no problem at all (keeping it constant is a different story :) ). but I'm happy to learn the lessons on this before i get the main up and running (drain line gets put in this weekend, so shouldn't be long now - yay! ).

Micro reef - 6g? Change a red (beer pong) cup at a time, every 30 minutes.

@hnurge wrote:
it arrived today said:
Also keep in mind that using ro usually will result in a reading that is off by 0.001-0.004ppm, it's not gonna impact you per se but just throwing that out there. [smilie=wink.gif] At one point someone used to check refractomer cal's at meeting for free, you can alway's put up a post, I'm sure someone would be willing to give you a couple of drop's. [smilie=lol.gif]

Cheers,

What Ron said re: RO calibration on the non-digital refractometers.

Here's a great article with more than you'll ever need to know about refractometers: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/