Why they call it tang heaven

My tangs are now plotting how to get from the 265 to the planted tank. At first they were half way scared of the live algae. It has been awhile since they have seen any. I think I can keep up with their appetites with the growth rate of the algae. Maybe I won't have to feed them dried nori so much now. I would think the live algae would be good for them. The best part is if it gets lost in the tank it will not pollute the system AND I don't have to take any uneaten parts out! They can just eat it later!

IMG_1215.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1221.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1222.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1224.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1226.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1227.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1232.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1239.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1240.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1242.jpg
alt="">

Those are beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing it with us! That is awesome, it is so much better to see them getting something closer to what they would eat in the wild.

Those are some great shots of your tangs eating and with you new food supply they should be happy for a long time to come. Kinda like us having toll house cookies right out of the oven and a cold glass of milk.
smilie_bier2.gif
alt="">

Well I wouldn't care if the Halymenia grew in the display. I wish I could grow some there actually, but I doubt it's going to happen.

The ulva is a nutrient hog and I have never had any luck keeping it anywhere except the planted tank which is drenched with nitrates, phosphates, etc due to fertilizing.

I really don't think I have much to worry about and neither of these two algaes are hold fast types (like caulerpa) anyway so if it did start growing and I didn't like it I'd just take it out.

Actually, Ulva does have holdfasts.. the one time I had it growing at all in my tank, it was months after I thought it was dead, and it popped up in high flow areas like powerheads..

ulva.jpg
alt="">

Yeah, I have some attached to a rock in the planted tank. How about it USUALLY doesn't attach and RARELY grows at all in a nutrient poor tank...especially one with a bunch of tangs...and it is MOSTLY easy to remove wherever it grows. :D

Hehe, that'll work. You can collect buckets and buckets of the stuff on the coast in shallow tidal waters that get TONS of flow.

You know, the macro tank has next to no flow and the ulva is growing like crazy. All it has is the flow from the HOB filter and the skimmer. I think it's more a nutrient thing than a flow thing. I don't know. I am very surprised at how it's growing with no real flow, because in the past it has seemed to only grow on powerheads and such like you said. The nano streams are never turned on as they blow everything around too much.