whos tha best?

who do you think is the best lfs in the dfw area
for quality, stock, corals, fish, and price? Price is not as important because I for one dont mind paying more for quality stock.

Fish Gallery, Franks Tanks, DNA (corporate which I don't like but good stuff, nice store), and Fishman in Denton (small store with mostly softies and lps but very knowledgeable staff/good prices). I used to like Aquarium Trading Company but one of the partners--Bill--who was very knowledgeable/great guy "left" at least that's what they told me. The store was started like eight or nine months ago but still looks like they are trying to set it up and is kind of junky.

1 Fish Gallery. For Fish and Corals
2 Fish Paradise - for corals that I buy online and pick up at the store
3 DNA as they usually have something I need but prices are little high

Aquatic Trading in Garland . Havent been in awhile but last time I was there he had plenty of corals and fish. He was just getting into sps.

Fish Gallery by far is my fav store. I am a big freshwater nut too and Chris on the FW is very knowledgeable and easy to talk about everything amazon.

I used to like DNA until I found out that they're comission only based and told me that $ 70 dogface puffer can live in 30 gallon with small fuzzy dwarf lionfish.

I ended up buying the dogface puffer from Fish Gallery for $ 35.

I've lost 2 fish from DNA and so far none from fish gallery.

stan

I've recently setup a small tank and have visited most of the LFS in the North Dallas area. I'm getting back into the hobby after a few years off, so I'm not a total newbie. I also consider myself an easy customer to deal with, so I have little tolerance for bad service and attitudes.
Here are my favorites in order...

#1 Aquatic Trading - Garland
--Not to be confused with Aquarium Trading Co mentioned above--
Hands down this is my favorite place. Small store, but good selection and prices. The owner, Tony, is a super nice guy. This is also my kids' favorite place (they pick up on a good vibe). It's the kind of shop I like to support.

#2 Fish Gallery - Dallas
Like someone else mentioned, this place also has a big selection of freshwater. Good prices on aquariums.

#3 DNA - Carrollton
Nice big store with lots of stock and dry goods, but it does have a corporate factor. Most of the staff is very nice but I have encountered one jerk.

#4 Exotic Aquatics - Plano
They have some nice stuff, but a little pricey.

I'm going to comment mostly on the stores on the east side of town because until recently I lived over there, however I do know that Frank of "Frank's Tanks" does a lot to support the club and has a nice set up closer to Ft Worth.

With regards to Aquarium Trading Company, the owner Matt is a great guy. He stayed for almost an hour after closing one day so I could come pick up something I needed for a small tank emergency I was having. They generally have a decent selection of corals and fish at pretty good prices. His store front isn't as "clean/corporate" looking as others, but I think he was focused on getting into a bigger space (than their first set-up) and is now going back to dress it up. Last time I was in there they were getting ready to put down some nice stone tiles.

If you're in DNA, I'd try to seek out Federico. He's very knowledgeable and one of the most honest people you'll meet working at an LFS. Easy to talk to and willing to spend time to explain things and help you have success with whatever you're taking home with you.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the lack of Arlington/Ft Worth info, but I to am looking forward to reading the posts on LFS on this side of town.

IMO Fish Paradise in Ft Worth is probably the best store in Ft Worth. Fish, drygoods, LR, LS (1.99 #) and quite a few softie frags (although he recently went up $5 on the frags). You can usually find a good deal there. Decent prices!

The Aquarium & Much More is mostly FW with some SW. Can sometimes find a good deal there.

The Fish Place has decent prices, but unless they have made some changes since the last time I've been, they're water quality and tank upkeep could be a lot better. Don't get me wrong though, I have purchase clarki clowns from them. One didn't make it, but I called and they were happy to give me another, I just never made it back. I also got LR from from them.

Keller Farms, very small SW area and their R/O water melted my Xenia!

Tranquil scape in Arlington. I only went in when they were first opened, but they seemed kinda pricey. Not much of a selection at the time, but again, they were just opening.

Pet Village in Duncan has a selection of SW fish and they're prices are decent too. Also have drygoods and FW.

Saltwater Paradise is also the storefront for Extreme Corals. If you're going there vistit their online store if you sign up for their emil list you $25 off your first purchase. Huge selection of corals, usually a good deal to be had. Some SW fish in store, but the corals a better buy.

DNA is what everyone else said! It is a huge store and they have everything. They've got a bigger inventory of fish than I've seen anywhere. You will pay a premium though. I have seen fish in their tanks with what I thought was ich, but I'm no expert. I will say that I've purchased most of my fish from them though. Haven't had any problems.

Aquarium Trading Company is pretty big too, selection not as good as DNA. Pricing is comparable to DNA maybe a better buy here or there. Could do better with their tank upkeep though. Though I haven't been in a couple of months. I've gotten R/O water from em (.30/gal).

All the LFS I mentioned are on Marc's LFS list on his site. Most are in Ft Worth, since I used to live there, but now that I've moved to the Colony I mostly go to DNA. HTH

I agree. Tony is a great guy. If he doesn't have it, he can order it for you. He saved us when my 150g exploded!

@albert7753 wrote:

Well I have just started getting into the hobby and here are my opinions :)

Odyssey Pets North Dallas.. GREAT store still in the building out stage but is going to be awesome. Very helpfull staff and clean store and happy Fish and corals.

Dallas North Aquarium North Dallas ... I will only go there if I am in DIRE DIRE need of something that noone else has. The sales folks that I have been "helped by" always eventually seem to try to push you into buying things you don't need or that you shouldn't put in your tank. Fish are crammed into tanks IE 30+ Puffers in a 12 G tank. not a happy sight to see.. Clean store though

Tranquil Scape Arlington/Ftw.. Another awesome store with very helpful and knowledgeable people. the 1000G tank is enough to make you WOW. Happy fish and Coral lots of selection.

Neptunes Cove... North Dallas/Plano.. Bill is awesome he is VERY knowledgeable and willing to go above and beyond to answer questions for you. Large Selection of all corals. Fish and coral are very happy.

Franks tanks Ft Worth.. havent been able to get out there yet :?

True Percula Arlington/Ftworth... Great looking store with helpful folks lots of happy fish and lots of coral.

Those are the stores that I have been by recently HTH!

-Paul

Franks Tanks, hands down the best LFS in Fort Worth...in Dallas i am fond of DNA...both are different animals though...Franks is always very clean, has some nice displays, always a good selection with some very nice corals. You cant beat his prices for a LFS and he is a great guy, very knowledgeable and loves to help. DNA on the other hand just has lots of stuff cramed in a fancy store, but im not so hot on their customer service. If i need something i can not find in other LFS, i go there. Got my Sohol from them.

I like Franks but it's a big haul for me (hour drive.)

I only hit DNA up for their used equipment rack when I need a salt stirring powerhead or something else.

I do almost all my business with Bill at neptunes because he does get the most strange and exotic corals (especially weird zoos, and torches, etc.)
Not only that, but prices are very reasonable and he has access to alot of really good stock.

I have never dealt with ATC or Plano Pets but I do know Plano Pets comes very recommended.

Also, Exotic Aquatics, albeit closer, just doesn't seem to have the coral diversity but they do have a nice store.

On the FW side of all of this I have to say, my top 3 are:
1: Franks Tanks - Great Prices, ULTRA helpful nice store layout and good corals and fish
2: Tranquilscape - Ranks right up there with Franks as far as help. Prices are a bit higher, but has a larger selection of Corals, I owe my 150 Acrylic's very presence to them
3: Fish Paradise - Me. Lee is awesome, Large selection of pretty much everything, and can help you find the most obscure items.
4: I really have no desire to go elsewhere as these 3 great stores are at the very least 100 TIMES better than any store I frequented while living in the Seattle area.

How do you know Franks tanks has great prices ? I never seen a price on any tank , and if you have to ask.......... ( I hate asking)

Fish Paradise has never sold me a fish that did not survive for years.

DNA , well I like the selection, have a clown trigger in QT right now, looks fine and healthy, they have some very nice people, and our 10% discount helps. BUT I was told by the salesman they keep all their FO tanks with a low level of copper which suprised me. But I could not find anything with my test kit from the water he came home in.

Keller Farms, way too small and way too many aptasia in the tanks.

Petco , never would I buy livestock there.

Petorama looks like ich-orama or sickorama in their fish tanks (bedford)

Tranquil scapes, went there once a week ago, did not feel welcome there, don't know why but just got a bad vibe, maybe I'm too old or paranoid?

Planetpet plano, had a great sale, got a regal and humu, regal got ich.

Just my findings over the last decade here.