Who keeps Goniopora?

Heath

Membership Expired
I have had my Goni for about a year now, and while I no longer directly feed it, part of my fish feeding regimin is cyclop-eze and it probably picks up some of the food while its being blown around. I keep it on the sand bed in a "medium" flow spot. All in all, this coral has been very forgiving for me.

Not exactly sure what species. Maybe polyformis?

Older photo, but its the best I have.
DSC01014.jpg
alt="">

I have a red with blue center that i picked up at next wave last year that is always extended but i havent seen any growth. Somone also gave me a colony of blue green that was dying on them and it slowly faded until it had about 12 heads and then stopped. I tried target feeding at first but now i dont target it at all. Its in medium light and flow.

Is this the hot red one we were talking about the morning before the dorrs opened?? I hope you have very good luck with it.

Gonis are my favorite. I have 10 in my tank I love them. Medium to low light. I have 400w MH in a 30" deep tank so i place them no more than about 6" from the bottom. Mine all like pretty heavy flow but not direct flow. My MP60 gives a strong undertow and they really seem to dig it. I don't do any target feeding I broadcast some frozen "coral mix" and I'm sure they eat that. They are very sensitive to the sting of other corals. Mushrooms and zoos especially. Once stung they will recede, but will usually stop once the problem is removed. The rarely grow Bach over the dead spot. These are just observations I've made as I keep several of these. Others may have different findings and opinions.

I keep a green metallic, a red, a blue, a green/pink, a pink with white eye, a green with red eye, a pink with white "petals", a purple metallic, a neon green, and a green alveo with white "petals".

Cool. I bought one at next wave as well. It seemed to acclimate well. But there are a few differing opinions out there. Any personal experiences would be helpful.

I've had the bright green the metalic purple (looks tan in the pic cause of the lighting) and the red a year and a half or maybe more. The 2 pinks and the light blue about a year or just under. The alveo and the green/pink about 8 months and the green with pink eyes just a few weeks.

@Matt wrote:
Thanks for sharing the pics. What food are you using to feed the corals/tank said:
I feed PE mysis with garlic, VitamarinM and MaxAmino every other day. Twice a week I add into that mix one cube of H2O life frozen coral food mix. I don't do any target feeding whatsoever. Its sink or swim at my house. :)

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but.....Can I get an update? Also, can anyone tell me if it's true that the long tentacle Goniopora have a short life? and if Fragging them extend their life?

I picked up a ORA Red Gonioporaat next wave it's doing great I am planing on ordering their other Gonioporas

I picked up 4 gonioporas at Nextwave this year. All looking great so far, but haven't noticed any new growth. However, my water parameters are a little off right now. Working to correct them. I'll try to post pics sometime this week.

Here is my Goni.. Dont feed'em really I feed pellet spectrum mostly and feed rod reef org blend once a week..

[attachment=0]IMG369-1.jpg[/attachment]

I had one I tried to save for a friend that ended up dieing. After reading in here it sounds like it may have died du to lighting.

Sent from inside the shark tank!