Who has Sympodium?

Howdy Matt!

Sympodium is a GREAT coral. A wholesaler in LA send me some last year and asked me if I can grow it out for them at the farm. It grows great, is hardy, has really nice color, and seems to react well to a variety of light levels and flow levels.
It is in the Xenia family, but the blue tissue feels more like a sponge than a Xenia. The green polyps are short and bunchy. It seems to grow in clumps.
The only drawback I have seen with these guys is a nudi hitchhiker that came in on a second shipment I got from the wholesaler. Apparently they have a specific nudibranch that eats them. It is almost impossible to see unless you are looking for it. It is large and blue. They can do some damage if you don't remove them. We had to remove 2 generations over a few months with weekly manual inspection and removal.
This coral will become pretty popular, the wholesaler asked me to sell to them exclusively. They buy everything we grow and ask for more!

It grows pretty fast when happy and not being eaten by nudis.
We were sent the type with blue tissue and green polyps. The green color did fade to brown a week or so after arrival while the coral was acclimating. Once it settled in it regained the nice green.

We did all the normal dips and nothing killed them. Some stunned them, but nothing killed them. I would recommend an iodine dip to stun them and then manual removal.
Also, the corals arrive on a flat, layered rock. The nudis seem to retreat into the rock. When we discarded all the rock and mounted the mothers on solid disc we saw a dramatic decrease in the nudi population.

I have the blue green variety. I made 2 different frag's of it, one for the main tank and one for the frag tank, I was re-glueing a piece that had gotten detached and left it out of the water for a while so we'll see how hardy it really is. [smilie=rofl.gif]

001.jpg
alt="">

Cheers,

Anyone know of a place to get it locally? [smilie=wink.gif] I'd very muhc like to see what color changes it goes through under LEDs.

Ron, does it seem to be photosynthetic or is it more of a dendro/suncoral type?

@Capt_krill wrote:
Anyone know of a place to get it locally? [smilie=wink.gif] I'd very muhc like to see what color changes it goes through under LEDs. Ron said:
I think it need's light, general thoughts are that this coral is in either in the Anthelia or Xenia genus. James would have wayyy more info on it than me tho'. I saw some first out at rift2reef a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

i have two colonies and a few frags of it. i have placed it under low light, med light, high light and i can say the colors look really great under overdriven t5s. does not seem to mind flow, or low flow. seems to be pretty neat little coral so far.

@Matt wrote:
Was not happy after being in my tank for about a week. We moved the system to our new house and it is much happier now with the new light and aquascape. Will try and get pics tomorrow. said:
Matt I have mine under alot of light and my frag is thriving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up my disc from Fish2Morow and its doing perfect under LEDs. I have it next to my colt coral, lower flow, decent light. Is multiplying rapidly.