Where to buy LIVE sand-New Questions

I would suggest the pavestone brand pulverized limestone that a lot of folks are using. 50lb bag for ~$5 at Home Depot and just seed it with a few cups of established LS.

I used the pulverized limestone and did not rinse it. It took 4-5 days to clear up. I like the look of the sand in my tank and would suggest using it.

C W

@imaaflac wrote:
have you used these? Do i need to clean it before or let it sit in saltwater? said:
I have it in my tank and one of my fuge's, I like the look aslo. I did rinse it(a lot) and it was clear when I came home from work the next day. I didn't rinse the bag I put in the fuge but was careful adding water.

Cheers!

I am currently looking for a cost effective solution to sand for my 360 (8'x3').

Could someone please post a picture of the pulverized limestone in water, in a tank.

I would definately agree with "bimmerzs" about the live sand issue. You would really be wasting money buying that amount of live sand. I can't speak to the pulverized limestone use, but if that's not an option you could at least buy some Aragamax or the equivilant and seed it with a few cups of live sand. The bacteria and other beneficial organisms will spread throughout the "dead" sand.

Todd, here's a threads with pics:

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=15394

Also, I used Pavestone in my 55 gallon display refuguim, so the build log for it has a lotta pics of the stuff in a tank at different stages:

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=16435

Hey i have some sand in a bucket outside in the garage for about a week now. It was from my sump, it still has water inside the bucket. I was wondering if the sand it still live? that way i can use it to seed the same from home depot. Please let me know. Thanks

hi, i just went to home depot to buy 50 lbs of pulverized sand but it's not the pavestone brand that everyone recommends. Does it HAVE to be that brand???? I tested it with vinager and it fizzed up. Does that mean that i can't use it for my tank? I was planning to wash it out with tap water and then soak it in saltwater for a while before use, but found out it fizzed with vinager. Any suggestions?

It is good when it fizzes. That means that it is a calcium based sand which is good for your tank. Everyone that has used the limestone says rinse it, rinse it, rinse it and keep on rinsing it. It is very dusty. Not that the dust will hurt anything, but it will cloud the tank pretty bad.