When bitten by a fang blenny

I'm writing because I looked about for information on what I should do and could find none.

I sold the last of my tanks inhabitants and live rock. I know I have a fang blenny I just didn't see it. Well I must have grabbed it as it was hiding in the rock. I jerked back. The bite feels like a tiny pinprick.[ (2pm) ]

[20-30 minutes later (2:30p)] I felt 'funny' euphoric almost and my finger is slightly swollen. It feels like something is underneath my skin.

[45-1h (3:34p) ]later I'm lying on the couch, my throat has swollen, I'm having problems breathing, I'm about to pass out, my eyelids are so heavy I can barely stay awake. In an attempt to avoid ER I call poison control and am recommended to take benadryl. Very wobbly I take my son with me to pick some up. I have no fever and my heartbeat seems about normal to my observation. Swallowing liquids is extremely difficult and the roof of my mouth is swollen real bad. So bad it makes my speech a bit slurry.

[1hr 30 minutes (4:00p)] later I'm yawning uncontrollably (a sign of oxygen deprivation from my throat closing up) I make it home and take the max dose of Benadryl.

[2hrs (5:00p)] the medicine seems to helping and the swelling in my throat goes down some. Sleep finally overcomes me.

[(7:00p)] I can barely wake myself, but get up to do an errand anyhow. My body feels really wrung out and drained. I'm still very sleepy. My roomate woke me up constantly while I napped to make sure I was ok.

[(8:22p)] I take another dose of benadryl, another max dose. I can finally swallow normally I eat a snack of chips.

[(11:00p)] I'm still extreamly tired, worn out and sleepy. My throat feels more normal, but I know my body is fighting off the last of the poison because my throat has a very 'thick' feeling.

The next dose of benadryl is at midnight. You can bet I'll take another max dose.

Via Internet information: 'the bite of a venomous fang blenny is "mildly poisonous"' basically no worse then a bee sting. Personal experience. It's worse in effect, not in pain. It hardly hurts or throbs. It does tingle and slightly numb. It's a very uncomfortable and annoying feeling. My advice is to take benadryl [IMMEDIATELY] if bitten by your fang blenny. It's not a common occurance, but I thought I'd document mine.

Good idea to keep benadryl on hand just in case for situations like this one. I am going set myself a reminder to pick some up next time I am at wallmart

Thx guys it was a pretty crappy day yesterday for me. Not something I care to repeat. I was very careful, and believe I was a rare exception by getting bit. I love these little guys and will not stop from keeping them in my tank in the future. I have a really strong respect for them. 'mildly poisonous' [smilie=dull.gif]

I slept 12 hrs last night and am awake and feel alot stronger now. Surely today my body's fought off the rest of the toxins.

@Jaguar wrote:
Thx guys it was a pretty crappy day yesterday for me. Not something I care to repeat. I was very careful said:
You have been hurt in this hobby more than anyone I know! :p

Hey FYi that pink Pavona you gave me is doing AWESOME! The only problem is that it is still in BILLS tank lol! We plan on fraggin it and then I will put a chunk in my tank. You going to the next meeting ?

Oh I wanna see pics! I do get hurt alot. My fiancée says when I arrive there he's going to make sure I don't come along with Mr. Accident too. [smilie=dull.gif] remember when I tried to snap my arm in half? God I have photos of that. The next meeting is the social. I might try to renew my membership in time to make it. It will be the last time people from the club see me until Nov. My flight is scheduled for Aug 9th.

I'm glad you're alright. Sounds like you might be a tad allergic to what that fella was dishing out.

As for Benadryl, I can hardly smell that stuff without passing out. [smilie=rofl.gif]

@Jaguar wrote:
I might try to renew my membership in time to make it. said:
Might?! I don't understand. [smilie=hi.gif]

Btw, check out the fangs on this one: http://www.underwater.com.au/image.php/id/8684/

And just think I was wanting to buy that fish when I came over but we could not find him so I bought the shrimp instead. Wow Im glad to know you got thru it ok.

@Marc wrote:
[I]@Jaguar wrote:[/I][quote="I might try to renew my membership in time to make it. said:
Might?! I don't understand. [smilie=hi.gif]

Btw, check out the fangs on this one: http://www.underwater.com.au/image.php/id/8684/"]

Definitely scary! Membership fixed now Marc.

You need to find out more about the toxin from the fang blenny and if it is in the same class as fire ants, wasps, bees, or other creatures that you may come in contact with.

With some allergic reactions they are worse the next time you are exposed to them. If the toxin is similar to something like bees or fire ants then the next time you are stung by one of those it could be worse.

My father-in-law almost died from a wasp sting.

Glad you are alright! Sounds like you had an anaphylactic (allergic) reaction. If you have swelling in the mouth or difficulty swallowing you run a real risk of your airways constricting as well and going to sleep (even though benadryl knocks me out also) is one of the worse things to do since you could die before you wake up. Definitely worth going to an ER for that, they'd see you before the guy with a knife in his head :)
But hey I'm a vet not a doctor, just my two cents as anaphylactic reactions are very serious and I'd hate for someone else to do the same reading this and not seek medical treatment and pass away.

I know [smilie=shake.gif] I shoulda gone. I also knew it was bad to fall asleep the 1st time, which was why I had my best friend watch me and not let me sleep. I only slept after I was certain the swelling had gone down enough out of the danger zone, and wouldn't return. Poison Control called me back an hour after my original call to check my status as well.