Whelks eating Zoos?

Lately I have noticed several of my zoo colonies slowly dying off and dissapearing. They seem to just slowly go away.

I have noticed that I have hundreds of what I thought were nassarius snails, (until I looked at this.... http://www.melevsreef.com/id/whats_a_whelk.html ). Now I am leaning on the side of having hundreds of Whelks! I started out with several, and now have them everywhere.

Does anyone think that they could be the culprit in my zoo dissapearances? Salinity is good, temp is fine, I dont really know what else it could be. Would these guys be fine in my sump, or should I just get rid of them all together?

Thanks for the advice. Oh, by the way, I do have clams, and they have never messed with them. Knock on wood! :oops:

Well, have you looked for zoa eating nudibranchs? Or do you have any cowries? (I had one that was munching down on them.)

@hegi wrote:
I thought whelks were only clam predators. said:
While I have never heard of a zoo eating whelk, depending on the species, they will eat snails, clams, worms and other things. Not sure if there are coral eating variaties however.

I wasnt real sure if there were coral eating varieties either. I know that they clean the rocks where the zoos used to be, but have never really seen them eating them. Also, I have been looking for nudis, but havent seen any. Thanks for the help guys. I will try to get a good picture after while.

@landon_brim wrote:
I wasnt real sure if there were coral eating varieties either. I know that they clean the rocks where the zoos used to be said:
If you do have them, just start pulling every one you can find out of your tank. And I mean every last one. I had tweezers and a flashlight many nights, and even asked my son to be a spotter as the extra pair of eyes really helped after a while.

Still trying to get a good picture, but by Marc's description, they sound like Whelks. They dont burrow in the sand, and mostly hang out on the rocks and on the glass. At night they are everywhere. I guess adding them to the sump isnt going to do any good is it?

Has anyone heard of sea spiders because my buddie belives that's what is eating his zoos. Any pics or good links? He said they look like tiny white crabs.

Thanks, Rob

Last night I spent several hours pulling out snails. I bet I pulled out about 100 of these suckers, and didnt even really put a dent on their numbers. I will be doing this for the next few days and hopefully this will eliminate any future problems. Crossing my fingers!