What's on the bottom? - ...of your tank, that is.

[I'm sure this has not been the first one of these polls. But, I've noticed several people going over to bare bottoms and wanted to see how it's panning out across the membership.

This same poll a year ago would look veeeery different, wouldn't you agree?

PS.
This is not to start a debate about DSBs, Lord forbid!! Please keep the posts to tank design and not hypothosis and theories.

THANK YOU!!!]

Edited By Modo on 1105734203

[I'll start. :D

I maintain a 4" DSB of sugar sized argonite and South Down in my 90g. Use a big DYI beckett skimmer driven by a 1200 gph rated pump and have about 110#s of LR (which is fairly sparce asthetics wise).]

[I have about 2 inches of pure aragonite sand...it doesn't cloud up like southdown, and looks very natural. I got tons of liverock and a Trigger Systems skimmer...so I decided not to go with a dsb to avoid the risk of having it crash.]

[I had a tank leak last June, as I replaced the tank about 3 weeks later I went to a barebottom tank using hdpe. After 6 months, I am not real happy with the work it takes to keep clean, with crap that seems to be blowing around constantly. And I am seriously thinking about going back to a dsb, using 5 inches of white silica sand as I had before.]

[I have 5+ inches of South Down in my 55. Still on the fence as to what to do with my upcoming 105. DSB in fuge, SSB in tank, DSB both, SSB both? Oh well, something to think about to help me fall asleep at night. :sleep:]

[I have about 2 1/2" of semi-course aragonite sand on the bottom of my tank. Seems to work well so far!]

[4" of southdown, I wish I had another inch for good measure. Theres no fish in the tank yet, the amount of pods is scary, the other night I looked and they were ever 1cm apart all over the top of the sand, on the glass, today there were a lot less, I guess some of the larger ones ate well :p

I'm going to take some out and examine it over the weekend under 60x just out of curiosity and the aleged counting of life :p]