what would you......

shane054

Premium Member
Ive got a 12 gallon nano that will house a clam, pink duncans, green duncans, and 2 dendros. I will put a few pieces of sps in the tank im just not sure which ones. I would like to do rare pieces only. What sps would you put in the tank? List your top 5 and feel free to post pics as that might help me choose. Thanks, Shane

by the way i do have a skimmer on the tank and a 150 watt metal halide.

@shane054 wrote:
Ive got a 12 gallon nano that will house a clam said:
Biggest issue's will be heat and parameter control. I would suggest a sump addition, auto topoff and a good 2 part dosing scheme. As far as sps additions I would try the easier ones first to make sure you can keep those happy prior to investing in the high dollar one's.

Cheers,

yeah with a nano you will have a big issue with heat i would look into getting an ice probe chiller if you want to get into sps

agree with ron, make sure you can keep good numbers that sps need and then give some easier ones a try. there are still nice ones that are considered more hardy. several birdsnest varieties are really nice and fairly easy, and some incredible montiporas are out there, caps, encrusting, and branching styles.

You don't necessarily need a chiller to keep it cool, I've got a 24 gallon with a 150W metal halide. On its own, it would creep up to 85 degrees and I had to shut off the light during the middle of the day. Then I got an Azoo fan (the dual one) and it keeps my tanks at a happy 78 degrees.

Heck of a lot cheaper than a chiller ($40 vs. $400), although you have to keep ahead of the evaporation rate.

@mintychicken wrote:
Heck of a lot cheaper than a chiller ($40 vs. $400) said:
ice probe chiller are like $100 bucks not $400

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~chillers_coolworks_iceprobe.html