What to test for ?

[For the highest/best water quality what should I be testing for. I know for sure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and phosphate. Any other suggestion that I should be sure and keep an eye on.

Thanks

Todd]

[Hi Todd,

These are the things I feel are essential:

Temperature
pH
Nitrates
Phosphates
Alkalinity
Calcium
Salinity

Testing for Ammonia, Nitrites is usually unnecessary on an established tank, unless something major has occured such as loss of life, excessive heat, power outage...

These are my goal levels:

pH 8.0 - 8.3
Nitrates 10ppm or less
Calcium 400-450ppm
Alkalinity 8 - 11 dKH
Salinity 1.026
Temperature 78 - 82
Phosphates .1 or less

Testing for Iodine, Copper etc should only be done if you are adding those things to your tank (or hospital tank). I don't add any of those additives many LFS offer. I only use B-Ionic daily.]

[Well, some of it depends. If the tank is FOWLR, then you would want salinity around 1.20 or 1.21(better for fish, less chance for ICH and other diseases), but with coral, keep up around 1.24 or 1.25. Luckily, with topoff and monitoring, salinity can be kept fairly constant. I too would stay away from additives. The only thing that really needs to be done is water changes 10-20% per month(if possible) and dosing calcium. ESV B-ionic works very well, or dripping Kalk, or Tropic Marin Bio-calc........

Bill]