What skimmer should I buy?

I have a 140g mixed reef with medium-high bioload which has a 55g sump/refugium.
I am wanting to know what you guys and gals think would be the best skimmer for
me to purchase brand new. I would like it to be rated around 200-250g and prefer
external but I can make a internal work. I am leaning towards a Reef Octopus
but can not decide, please give me your valued opinions.
Thanks in advance!

I was recently debating between reef octopus and precision marine and went with the PM product only because the return was underwater and I thought it might be quieter. I'm so glad I did. I bought a different model since my tank is much smaller but the 150 that I bought is great. Add to that I thought there was a problem with one of the pieces when I received it so I went to their web page and e-mailed them with a question. They responded first thing the next morning (my e-mail was at night) and gave me a cell phone number in case I had any other trouble. Their advice worked and I didn't need to call. All that is to say, they have great customer service and if you have any questions I'm betting they would get back to you in short order and help you walk through what pump would be best for your configuration.

I would steer away from Beckett type skimmers they use alot of energy and will add heat to the aquarium due to big pump they require.

I am not so worried about energy cost as I am effectiveness. I want a skimmer I do not have to worry about, please post links to the skimmer you like and your reasoning. As of right now I am going with the PM Bullet 2. Now I have to decide whether I want to use it internal or external. Any benefits from either? Which pump if I use it external Gen-X PCX-40 or Iwaki MD55RLT? I also have been chatting with Michael Sigman from PM and he said that the site I posted with it above is in violation of their dealer agreement for selling it for less than $399 and that they would not fill the order if placed threw them. I am going to purchase direct from PM since the sell cosmetic blemished units for $369. But I have to figure out how I want to plumb it before placing order. Thanks in advance again for your advice and opinions!

I hear what you are saying about not worring about energy consumption however...the beckett skimmers actually work much better with a pressure rated pump which are usually very energy hungry. Why pay $369 for a skimmer and another $150 for a pump that drinks electricity when you can get a much more efficient skimmer that uses less room for the same overall cost. The Super Reef Octopus skimmers with the bubbleblaster pump's are kicking butt and are priced really good. Check out how much bubbles one of these make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WA2sF5Qov4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZe7BCqO-I I also like the I-Tech skimmer's, you would need the I-Tech 200(medium) for your setup. It's your money tho' but I would not buy a new beckett skimmer these day's, with all the newer skimmers out that perform as well as, if not better for less money and room needed.

Cheers,

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-SRO-3000INT.html

Damn that is pretty good bimmerzs. Does anyone carry these locally?
Which Octopus would you say I need for my setup?

@luhring wrote:
darn that is pretty good bimmerzs. Does anyone carry these locally? Which Octopus would you say I need for my setup? said:
Call Dane rift2reef he can get them.

These are available locally, think I saw them at Frank's Tank's and at Rift2Reef. Would probable do that SRO 3000 on your tank.

Cheers,

Just another option. I've ran an ASM G2 on my 120 w/55fuge for the past year and a half and love it. Great skimmate producer on a med. to high bioload. I don't have near the experience reefing these other guys have, but just from my own little paradise ;)

I have been using one of the new Trigger System Skimmers and love it. I use ozone and it has a second air line to feed it. The silencer, level control, smaller footprint and the overall thickness and build quality are nicer than anything else I have seen. They are built locally and the owner has been on the boards here for years. Several local stores carry them. Check them out.

http://www.triggersys.com/bursa.html
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/TS-BURSA.html

I forgot to post an update on my new Super Reef Octopus 3000 Skimmer!
This thing is way bigger than I expected and I had to make a stand for it,
I just used some left over 1 1/4 PVC, 4 1 1/4 Ts, a little bit of light defuser,
and some zip ties. When I was trying to get the stand I just built, I pushed
too much on my drain line and broke the bulkhead, water was going every
freaking where...got a nice little shock since it splashed on my sump light too.
After shutting off my return and all the water drained out of the over flow, I was
able to finally get the skimmer in my sump after some modifications to my
drain line and emergency drain line. I am very impressed with this skimmer!
Right after plugging it in, it had a really thick foam and started to skim.
Here are a few pics...enjoy because I know I am!

fthv84.jpg
alt="">
The huge box it came in.

2ag6hyb.jpg
alt="">
Opening of the box...

2uqbyht.jpg
alt="">
After I put it all together.

23vkbyd.jpg
alt="">
Out with the old in with the new!

2wcpm43.jpg
alt="">
Ethan my 4 yr. old saw me taking pics and wanted to take one,
gotta love his face, he calls it his Daddy Face...lol

2ii8rc0.jpg
alt="">
After the Circus left I was able to get it in the sump!

34946tv.jpg
alt="">

30ndvsi.jpg
alt="">

2lcp7vc.jpg
alt="">

2mra1bq.jpg
alt="">