What is this GOOP?

Tornelas383

Membership Expired
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353024258.735590.jpg[/attachment]

I have this stuff growing all over the rocks and it now is starting to irritate my Zoa's!

Yup what are your water parameters and what kind of flow do you have and how big of tank etc.

that there electronic note pad

75 gallon tank mag 9.5 return, 1 MP-40 (moves a lot of water), Aqua C EV-180 skimmer had a mag 7 but just installed a mag9.5 tonight... Running GFO and carbon in a dual BRS reactor. I also have a 20l sump with fuge and chaeto... 2 250 halides I think 15k bulbs 5 hours, 4 VHO T12's with super actinic bulbs 4 hours total, and led moon lights...

Also I have been doing about a 20 gallon water change every 2 weeks...
BRS 5 stage RODI and using Red Sea coral pro salt since the tank was set up about 3-4 months ago.

Ammonia is 0
Ph 8.15
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Dhk 8
Orp 260

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353038142.921752.jpg[/attachment]

that's pretty much everything i would run on a 75g lol. i always have funny stuff growing when i start up a new tank, until i add the clean up crew and it goes away for good. if the mp40 is ur only form of flow, u might want to look for some smaller powerheads to hit a few dead spots

How old is the tank, what is your feeding schedule, what do you feed, and do you have a way of testing for phosphate?

You could try to siphon out what you can see and get it at and then do lights out for 3 days. If possible, test for phosphate or bring a water sample to a LFS if they will test phosphate levels for you. If you are going to the frag swap this weekend, I can test your phosphates for you if you bring a water sample. Just send me a PM if you are interested in doing that.

Whenever I get unwanted stuff in my tank and if it needs light to thrive, I do lights out on the tank for 2-3 days. Then I try to siphon them out and do a water change. It usually works for me, but if you don't find the source of your problem it'll just come back. One of the big reasons that I get slime/algae in my tank is from over feeding.

As stated the tank has been up for 3-4 months I had some diatoms when I was cycling they were a golden color and growing on all of the rocks. I feed once a day mysis shrimp or brine, sometimes a small pinch of garlic enhanced flake food as a supplement. I also put in 1/4 sheet of nori for my Dori! I may have just been feeding too much. I put a full cube of food in sometimes because I love my fish.... I cut my feeding back for the last couple days and its seems to be slowly receding... I have not checked my phosphates, I don't have a test kit... I. Opted to buy GFO and reactor and save $ on the phosphate checker. Probably a mistake... I am coming to the frag swap but now I'm afraid to because I don't want to kill any new frags in the tank. I do have a lot of frags Zoa's, torch, candy cane, Monti, birds nest. Everything has been doing great the last 2 months since they have been slowly added. Until about last week. I'm probably over feeding but I don't want my creatures to starve... But I also don't want to poision them.

Thanks for all the help!

@Tornelas383 wrote:
Is chemi clean a viable option? I hate chemicals but I see a lot of positive feedback on the net.... said:
I will vouch for it as well. I had some red pop up that wasn't receding with water changes so I used it. First dose eliminated about 50% of the algae, did the water change at 48 hrs and then repeated once and it was gone. Parameters were fine and haven't had it pop up since (aprox 2 months ago). GL.

@Tornelas383 wrote:
Will shutting the lights down for 3 days affect my already stressed corals negatively? said:
Think of it like this. There are days in the ocean, where corals and fish goes without sunlight, due to storms. So you can do 2 days if you want.

I prefer to not resort to chemicals unless absolutely necessary and to address root problems first. It does sound like you are feeding a lot. If you run chemiclean be prepared for a large water change or two and you can't run your skimmer or it will overflow like nothing you've ever seen before.

The fact that it is receding with the lowered feedings is a good sign. Given the age of the tank, you may just have increased the bioload a little too quickly.

You may want to just try lights out for a couple of days and then doing a large water change. When you do the water change, use a turkey baster to blow some of the stuff off the rocks and siphon it out while you are doing your water change. That may get you ahead of the problem where it will just then go away as things reach a balance.

At some point, it would be good to pick up a phosphate checker both for regular testing and to know when you need to change out your GFO. GFO is not cheap and if you don't have a way of testing the water going in and out of the reactor, then you are just guessing at when the GFO is used up and potentially throwing out good GFO or not replacing it soon enough.

That makes perfect sense, it's funny because I was just at Joes last night picking up a pump I didn't realize he had a Hanna checker for phos for sale.

So I picked up the Hanna Checker from Joe tonight and tested PO4 and it was 0.0. Keep in mind that I changed the GFO 2 days ago.

Thank you everyone for your help.

If the cyano is binding all the algea you will still get a 0 P04 reading. Just another wrinkle to throw in the mix.

I went ahead and performed a round of chemi clean. Shut off skimmer, put a air stone under my mp40 so it looks like a bubble storm. I'm gonna checkup levels again today and do a 20% water change tomorrow. I will pay more attention to what and how much food I am putting in from now on!