What is killing my Elgence

My Elegance Coral has not opened for the last couple
of days, and this afternoon I saw definate tissue problems.
It has a light brown film on it in places. So I decided to give
it a iodine dip. But before I did I took a sample of the stuff
and put it under the microscope and this is what I saw.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYEz1-oVJwA

This is at 400x, since seeing this I've been taking samples
all over the tank, in the wate column, under rocks, out
of holes in rocks, under other corals, in the sand, and a
few other places. The only place I find these is on the Elegance.

After the dip I took some of the dead tissue and relooked
at it and found none left showing signs of life, but who knows
what still is under it.

Are they the problem or living off of the problem?

WoodDragon

Great micro shot! This is very interesting, what you have filmed is almost certainly a protozoa colony. Knowing that 'brown jelly' disease is a common cause of demise among Elegance corals, this has me wondering if it is, in fact, a protozoan infection. The fact that you mention the coral is developing a brown film may tie the two together.

Hrmm...

In the last several months, MANY people have been having problems with Elegant Corals. Reason....UNKNOWN. I've read many threads on this in many areas and it has a lot of people mystified. This USE to be a very easy coral to keep healthy, but for some reason a lot of folks been having problems with it.

I have a good size piece in my 250 gallon tank and it's doing well. BUT, I have lot pieces in the past. These type of corals seem harder to keep alive than a Powder Blue Tang!!! :lol:

Actually over the last many years elegance corals have had a poor survival rate. It used to be one of the easier ones to keep. There is a strand of aquacultured ones in Europe that are doing VERY well but they really haven't hit the states yet. You do get the occasional one that survives long-term here though. Some schools of thought are the source and depth of the ones collected. Some also think its related to the systems we keep now, they being much more clean than in the past. They do better in dirtier systems I think.

You might consider a dip in Tropic Marin Coral Cure to help.... not sure if that will do the trick but it may be worth a shot if its on its way out.

wooddragon

I have a bottle of that tropical marine pro cure if you need to use some of it. I am not far from you and have the day off so I can stop by.

That pro cure is freaking expensive so dont go out and buy some I can let you use some of mine!

@djwurm wrote:
wooddragon I have a bottle of that tropical marine pro cure if you need to use some of it. I am not far from you and have the day off so I can stop by. That pro cure is freaking expensive so dont go out and buy some I can let you use some of mine! said:
Pm you djwurm

I did a iodine dip last night and just finished looking at
another tissue sample and there are still a lot of the
protozas in the tissue.

WoodDragon

These corals have been figured out a bit here recently. It's true that they need nutrient rich water and regular feedings. This appears to be the key to keeping these corals. Since I heard this, I've had much better luck keeping them alive and my customers have as well.

I've been doing regular feedings and the coral was showing
signs of growth as well, he went down in a 4 day period.

WoodDragon

Elegant Corals are very difficult to keep. We kept one for over two years and then almost overnight if was gone. I do not know of anyone who has had long term success with them. There are all kinds of theories as to why from bacteria to fungus and brown jelly. I really don’t think that there is much that you can do but if you find something that works you need to let everyone know.

Good Luck…

iI went over to wood's home and brought some tropical pro care. I left before he was done dipping it but looking at it before dipping I would say it was a definitely pretty much a goner...

Once we put it in the dip it looked like it was degenerating right before our eyes.

I do have a nice florescent open green brain (4" across) that would fit in that space nicely where the elegance was.... :D (trying to clear room on sand for a clam...)

djwurm thanks for the dip and bringing it by.

But as you said it was pretty much a goner at that point
and it is now. After it went back into the tank it just
keep falling apart to where nothing was left.

It had been doing good and within 36 hours it went from
opening up to meltting away.

Pm sent on the brain.

WoodDragon

On the things living in the brown jelly tissue, I did
end up finding some more of them in my tank sort of.

They are living well in the skimmate collecting in the over flow
container.

WoodDragon

Sorry to hear about the loss but that is one coral that we should not keep until someone figures out how to keep them alive for the long term. I know that I will not get another one.

wow, sorry, nothing constructive to add, just had to say that is a crazy vid...nice shot of what was on them...