What do I avoid?

mtex4

Premium Member
In the process of starting my 8+ year tank over again. Many years ago I had a nice looking tank and then I introduced a small rock with a few mushrooms on it. Well, apparently I can grow them as they eventually took over the tank. Even when I introduced new corals it did not take long for the “shrooms” to cover and overcome it. So I don’t make this type of mistake again what should I avoid? I understand this is pure opinion (as several actually liked my mushroom tank) but any help would be appreciated.

Anthelia is another nuisance coral in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you stated it depends on what you like. Mushrooms is a generic term and some will not take over your tank. I find the mushrooms referred to as "Tongan" mushrooms to multiply very slowly. Also yumas and ricordia don't multiply really fast. Also, if you really do have the magic touch with shrooms then check out RC. There is one mushroom on there that can sell for up to $200 per mushroom. I don't remember the name of it but it occasionally shows up in their for sale section and usually sells quickly.

The worst thing I ever put in my tank was the Texas Trash Palys. They took over my tank in no time. Finally had to take the rock out and nuke it. Some people find Xenias and Star polyps to be a nuisance. I've always liked the various Xenias so I don't find them a nuisance.