What could be causing this brown algae?

pjracer

Premium Member
My tank has been fine and in the last month my tank started to develop this brown algae. I blow it off with my blaster but seems like the next day it's back. [attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362115092.805582.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362115111.877794.jpg[/attachment]

I have 6 1600 flow magnum power heads in the tank.

Parameters test good.

Ph 8.1
Cal 430
Mag 1440
Kh 9
Phosphate testing 0
Nitrate testing 5
Salinity 1.024

Not sure what's going on.

Any ideas. Is this a type of algae that can be treated. ?

Pete.

I had something similar and after I changed my RO/Di filters it cleared up. I'm sure there could be other causes too.

Yes. I run phosban Ina 150 reactor. It seems decetagrates when blowing on but returns the next day.

I'd look in too changing your RO filters. I've seen weird things like that before and when I changed my filter, it disappeared.

You could test for silicates as well. I do not believe a TLF 150 reactor is big enough for a 265 gallon system. Are you just running one? Typically the phosban would first absorb phosphates then the silicates.

Here is what I would do:

Should be done somewhat regularly while you are having the issue
- Test for phosphates and silicates
- Do water change, use siphon hose on affected areas of the algae
- I know some people "blow" the algae off rocks, it's more successful for me on cyano. I wouldn't blow the algae off myself, I prefer to do 5 gallon water change and siphon it out.

Considerations long term:
1) Run more phosban, TLF150 should support about a 150 gallon tank. It varies depending on the tank, but I'd run a bigger reactor or two TLF's
2) Run carbon, and make sure you are wet skimming. I'm assuming your skimmer is adequate based on the parameters you posted.
3) Not sure you on your LED and lighting schedule, but reduce the light hrs per day. I'm assuming no green algae or cyano anywhere.