What am I missing ???

wanting to setup a 5.5g barebottom SPS reef. no filtration or skimmer, just powerheads (possibly MP10), heater, ato, and light(MH). there will be no fish just coral. the plan would be for 1.5g weekly WC's more frequent if needed. so my question is, what am i not seeing as a potential problem ? or is this actually a plan that could work, and i am over thinking it ?

thanks in advance

-Bryan

Might want to go LEDs over mh which will prob heat the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very hard to maintain water quality with a small body of water. Your ATO will be key to maintaining salinity. Dosing daily for alk and ca will be important.

Corals need fish. They feed off their waste.

The good news is, you can't do too much damage with such a small tank. Might as well try it out and let us know how it works out.

I will be either using esv 2 part, or spreading my WC's out by doing multiple smaller WC's throughout the week. Was hoping to at least get the tank running this weekend, I have a bit more research to do before I even think of stocking anything. So that will give me time to watch temp and the like before i try to stock .

If at all possible, I would look into plumbing the Pico into your main tank just for the stability of parameters.
If you choose LED Lighting, you might want to also consider a heater.

Bought the tank today, hoping to get started putting everything together tomorrow. It will have about two weeks to run on its own while I do a ton of back and forth travel for work. by then I should be able to tell how this little guy will run, and also I may test run an auto water change expirement I have in the works. Hope to have more soon.

-Bryan

This will be awesome if you keep up with it. I've always wanted a pico sized SPS tank but avoided it because the last thing I need is another tank haha. I've read several aquarists experience with this and it's definitely a more difficult situation to maintain. I've seen some success with people plumbing it into their main system (as mentioned above).
Check out this counter top pico I found on reefcentral...way sweet, one of my favorites.

46ae96cf.jpg
alt="">

@Firewolf4 wrote:
If at all possible said:
I understand your reasoning on this, but if I was going to plumb this to my main system , I might as well just put the coral in my main tank. I want a small stand alone system. The challenge of this is what makes me want to try it, something to keep me on my toes i guess. The L.E.D.'s are an option if I decide to buy a lighting fixture, problem is I have really expensive taste and a sort of flat wallet. [smilie=smirk.gif]

well I did a test run while out of town last week. Then decided that I absolutely hate the tank. Soooooo, I have ordered this to take it place :

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Cube_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_Cube-Mr._Aqua-AZ1133-FIAQRC-vi.html

The plan is the same as before, just a new tank to do it in. Will probably try to go with a Bonsai look, but not 100% set on that. I actually ordered 2 of the tanks , as one will be a sump, for no reason other then to hide heater and ATO.