Welding

sublime-1

Membership Expired
Just wanted to let member know:

Last year I started a project, restoring a '65 VW Beetle, and I ended up wiring and installing a 240V Welder (MIG) in my garage.

so, if any of you folks DIY'ing ever need anything welded, from 22 gauge all the way up to 1/4", let me know :D

-bd-

I can weld, but not that great at it and i gave my welser back to my dad.

Can you weld aluminum?? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also want to make sure to use gas for aluminum... I have the gas but no spool gun... I have never tried aluminum, I assume it may take a little bit to dial in the welder so you dont burn through...

Ya, I played a bit with aluminum on the mig, but could never get to a point where I was comfortable not blowing through, especially on thin aluminum.

I make my light fixtures out of aluminum, so I would love to have the ability to weld it for a cleaner look, but not willing to invest in a tig welder :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, burning through is super easy, i just turn it way up and haul butt across it as fast as i can.

Good to know sublime. And you're close by.

We had a miller. And the aluminum spool was on the unit.

I was thinking about recreating my bowfront canopy with aluniminimum. ;)
Instead of plastico. But reuse the skin. Make sense? Or find something VERY similar.

I've just gotta make measurements. And get the tubing.

@CaravanShaka wrote:
but not willing to invest in a tig welder :( Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
I'd love to learn that. We always called it heliarc. I didnt know you could do aluminum like that. But stainless is sweet lookin with it.