Weird Nem or some kind of pest?????

MarcoG

Membership Expired
I found this attached to the underside of my chalice. It's pretty wicked looking. I'm not sure what it is. I edited the colors a little bit to be more realistic.

With Flash
[attachment=1]weirdnem2.JPG[/attachment]

No flash
[attachment=0]weirdnem.jpg[/attachment]

I don't know. I'd kill it. Nothing good ever comes from most things like that we've never seen before!

Can you imagine the first mojano?!

"Look at this pretty thing..."

@coralreefer wrote:
I don't know. I'd kill it. Nothing good ever comes from most things like that we've never seen before! Can you imagine the first mojano?! "Look at this pretty thing..." said:
hahaha

I don't want to get near it! It looks like it packs a serious punch

Looks pretty to me , DON'T kill it ! If it's not spreading or moving around it should be okay , looks like a nem to me . Idk , if you are worried about it I guess kill it , or you could put it in a QT tank .

It's a ball anemone. I had a bunch of them about 10 years ago on some aquacultured Tampa rock. They are harmless. Least my never spread enough to be a problem. Eventually theY disappeared.

hmmm, doesn't look like a ball nem to me. I have those overtaking my tank right now badly & can't find anything to kill them.

I turned the chalice over to get a better look at this guy and this is what I saw!!!!!!!! I poked at it (Thanks, Brandon) to see how it would retract. It pulled itself in REALLY FAST.

Looks like a Majano to me, super elongated. They do come in the brown variety.

@coralreefer wrote:
I don't know. I'd kill it. Nothing good ever comes from most things like that we've never seen before! Can you imagine the first mojano?! "Look at this pretty thing..." said:
Lol. I bought my first piece of mojano. It was neon green and looked awesome.
Paid $40.00 for something I had to take out and trash.
Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk 2

@MarcoG wrote:
I turned the chalice over to get a better look at this guy and this is what I saw!!!!!!!! I poked at it (Thanks said:
If you don't "off with your head" you should at least put it in qt before outbreak happens. Im gonna bookmark this thread to remind everyone of Day 0.

Marco, look up Phymanthus genus nems. I'm starting to think it may be a small one. If so, great hitch hiker! Don't get rid of it like they are all telling you. Sushi was right, if we killed everything we didn't know/understand my tank at home would be a lot more boring!!! Most of my cool corals and anemones were hitch hikers originally.

Brandon

The tentacles aren't "fuzzy" like those.

I looked at the Telmatactis, and it looks more like those

How small is it ? Because I read club tipped nems are small , a little bigger than star polyps , but I don't know how many variations of the species there are . It does look like a club tip to me . But , it sure is pretty ! Maybe if you are worried about it , set up a small aquarium just for it and monitor it for a while . See how it grows , spreads , maybe it will turn out to be a cool find , it sure is a great chance to gather info about something not a lot of people have in their tanks .