Water Question?

Aldente P.

Premium Member
I mixed some water for w/c and it has been mixing for about 5 days. It now has a white film on the pump,heaters,and side of the container. Any advice? TIA

@Aldente P. wrote:
I mixed some water for w/c and it has been mixing for about 5 days. It now has a white film on the pump said:
The white film should not be a problem it is just some perception from the salt. But I would test SG, PH, Ca, and Alk before using. You will also want to make sure that the water is the same temp as the water in your tank before you use it. This is always a good idea.

Thanks for the advice. I already heat the water and test SG but never thought about testing the ph before doing water change. Could the PH drop while mixing for 5 days in a closed container?

@Aldente P. wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I already heat the water and test SG but never thought about testing the ph before doing water change. Could the PH drop while mixing for 5 days in a closed container? said:
The PH could drop if you have a high CO2 level in the house or area where you are storing the water but I would think that it would not be much. As a safety measure you should always test new salt before putting it into the tank. Remember the Kent salt issues a few years back where they had low Alk?

You should read this article when you get a chance. I go into the pH thing somewhat.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/nftt/index.php