Water Chemisty & Ph

J.Davis

Membership Expired
Noticed how low my Ph was this morning (RKE probe), decided I was due a complete Testing.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0- 5 ppm
Phosphate 0
Ph via test kit 8.0 via RKE probe 7.71
DKH 10
Calcium 460 ppm
TDS Tank= 253 RO/DI= 007
SG 1.025

Lightly stocked 200g display with 75g sump/ fuge... around 250g total volume. Doseing NOTHING.
Should I be concerned with my ph? These readings were taken this morning, however my ph will get upwards around 8.0 during the day.

The ph will drop at night when the lights go out, that is why a lot of reefers run a refuguim on a reverse light cycle- lights on at night and off for a few hours during the day. Dropping to 8 plus or minus a little is the norm. I would get some calibration fluid for the probe though. I also dose at night, that will also help stabilize the ph. [smilie=smile.gif]

I realize I took my ph reading at it lowest point, but am I getting too low? Or too much of a swing? I'm not doseing anything.. don't see any point to it with the Calc & Dkh numbers where they are. I do run my fuge light 24/7 over my cheato. Better to only run a limited time reverse cycle here? Would doing so benefit the ph? I also hear airiation allowing more CO2 will help? My DT is open top 96x24x20 that get pretty turbulant in the return section of the sump... not sure if getting "More" air would help.

Stability is the key. You do not want big swings in ph( I try for .2-.3 swing over night), temp.( 2 degrees over 24 hrs.), alk., ca., mg. only measure others about twice a month.

If your Alk is really at 10 DKH then your Ph is low for 1 of 2 reasons.

1) Something died in your tank. The acid produced by rotting flesh will lower pH.
2) You have a build up of excess CO2. You need to find a way to "vent" your tank. Try aiming power heads towards the surface of the tank to break the surface. Do you have a skimmer? Try opening windows in the room with your tank.

All fish are accounted for. May have lost a pistol shrimp.. I'm doubting that would do it though. 250g total system, 96x24 surface area running open top. 5-6Kgph turn over rate (returns + powerheads). ASM G4+, seperate BRS carbon & phosban reactors. I have recently add two small fist sized pieces of "Home-made" LR to mount some Zoas on that were over taking thier frag plugs. They were made using the Concrete method. Not sure if that coulb be it. From what I've read, adding that should have caused my ph to go up. May take them out for a week and continue monitoring ph. Maybe the culprit? Any other thoughts?

API test showed it to be around 8... RKE probe showed 7.71 at that time. Was calibrated only 2 months ago. Gonna borrow another one to get a third independant reading. I'm still at a loss here.... :( Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I'm gonna keep plugging away 'till I find the source or solution. Hopefully both.

7.86 rounded off is 7.9 Not bad, not enough to worry about it.