Water Change Question...

raggedfinfirefish

Premium Member
Hey guys, I've got some algea issues as well as nitrate issues, that even with my 'fuge arn't dissapearing, and the problem is, that I left out my RO-DI out in december and it froze (eek!!) and broke. So, since I'm broke should I....

Do a large-medium waterchange with tap?

or

Nothing....

Once I've got enough cash handy I plan to buy some pre mixed from the LFS, so I'll be doing the good change soon enough. What do you think?

Buy RO water from the LFS or supermarket for now, and change some water.

Tap water will only feed the nutrients or algea in your tank. I use the BYOB water store for $.25 a gallon for RO water.

Good Luck

I understand broke, but like they said for less than $3.00 you can buy 10 gallons of water form some store even a Kroger and do a water change. Especially if you already have the salt and a couple of containers to transport water.

If that was my choice Id do nothing :). As others have posted you can by DI water at walmart/etc for about .60 a gallon. Why do you need a water change so badly? I do know that people do it weekly. However, you could always wait a few weeks and do a larger change when the $$ allow. Heck if you need 10 gals or so Ill give it to you for free. You come get it :) . Gimme a few days to get it ready though as I only have a 3 gal holding tank and it takes about an hour or 2 to re-fill.

Well, I'm babysitting tonight and getting some $$$ to buy some RO from Frank, I'm planning on a pretty massive change, thinking in ATLEAST the neigboorhood of 20-40 gallons, I'm hating my algea...

@southernreefer wrote:
i haven't done a water change in 6 months.... don't see the reason to do one if all the parameters are good :roll: 8) said:
That sounds a lot like I have not changed the oil in my car in a year,....don't see the reason it's running fine. :lol:

@Rick wrote:
[I]@southernreefer wrote:[/I][quote="i haven't done a water change in 6 months.... don't see the reason to do one if all the parameters are good :roll: 8) said:
That sounds a lot like I have not changed the oil in my car in a year,....don't see the reason it's running fine. :lol:"]

Funny.. i haven't changed the oil in my truck in well over 2 years, but then again i bicycle ALOT, and don't drive a whole lot either.

just explain to me what the benefit is of doing a water change? is it like a big eraser? does it make covering up your mistakes less noticable?

waste remove? i got no fish... so no excessive bio-load!
replace trace element? i dose for that.... i even got test kits!
unstable ph? sorry, not on my watch...
unstable alk? see the previous answer.
unstable anything? nope. not here. the southernreef is a protected reef.

nuff said.
:shock:

I will let Robert Fenner answer with a informative reponse for those interested in real facts from a person that writes books and maintains a website related to all facets of the saltwater aquarium hobby.
"Frequent Partial Water Changes"
BobFenner@WetWebMedia.com
Probably the most important aspect of maintenance a keeper of an aquatic system can do to optimize water quality and health of their charges is to change some of the water is a regular basis. This Section deals with the reasons for, and some rules of thumb as to how often, how much and how to make these changes.
Rationale:
There are several major benefits of frequent partial water changes: Dilution of nutrient, removal of particulate matter, reduction in microbial populations and their metabolites. Results anticipated are faster, more vigorous growth, reduced algae growth, color and odor.
It has been written in many fisheries, limnological and hobbyist texts that along with temperature and photoperiod, metabolite ("wastes") build-up is one of the three most important factors influencing the health, growth and reproduction of livestock.
More specifically; in the trade, ammonia and other nitrogenous wastes are recognized as the number one killer of aquatic life in captive conditions. Not to say that all the "stuff" produced by the system's desiraable life is toxic. Some metabolites, like pheromones, are actually known to have calming effects. Therefore the concept of partial, not total water changes.
In doing these water changes we are interested in a dilution-solution; that is, keeping these so-called waste products at tolerable levels.
There are several ways this is otherwise accomplished. Most common are some forms of biological filtration and chemical filtration like carbon and ion-exchange materials. The last are useful but often labor and money intensive. Moreover, these chemical filtrants do remove desirable chemicals as well.
As stated in so many previous Sections it is imperative vital that as much extraneous materials: foods, dirt from decor, material from the immediate outside environment be kept from getting in the system. What little does make its way in should be removed by netting/vacuuming, diluted or removed by making partial water changes.
Some potential pollution will probably be added to your system in the way of food and chemical additives/fertilizer. Even without over- or mis- feeding and/or fertilizing, freshwater evaporation adds to a decided negative chemical effect on an aquatic system. This "Salton Sea Syndrome" occurs as water evaporates leaving behind its' chemical constituents.
So enough of the reasoning for making water changes; onto the nuts and bolts of how to do them:

How often:
Depending on your pump/filter/circulation system, stocking and feeding regimen et al., partial water changes about once a week to about once a month are about right. More frequent smaller amounts are better than infrequent mega-changes, with one possible exception. Some writers advocate an occasional massive change (50% or more) as a stop-gap measure to dilute metabolites, nitrates in particular. I'd rather encourage you to stick to regular, smaller volume changes; they're safer and accomplish about the same ends.
Make a schedule/notebook for your system and keep track of what you do and how it works for you. Patterns will emerge and give you a guideline for how frequent you should change water.

How much:
Five to ten percent for larger systems and twice that for smaller is generally sufficient. The chemical/physical/biological shock from changing too much too soon is to be avoided.
Though some marine authors state that water treatment chemicals are unwarranted with such frequent small percentage change, I'd encourage you "to be safe, rather than sorry", and treat to remove chlorine/chloramine unless you're preparing water a week or more in advance of use.

How to:
However it is achieved, the part of the water and what's dissolved in it are mainly to be found at and in the bottom.
Solids are systematically removed from part, but never all of the bottom of the tank and possibly sump by using a "gravel vacuum". We don't want to vent all the beneficial microbes along with the solids, so a plan is made to move the decor and vacuum a half, third, what have you, of the base in a given water change period.
New water is replaced with pre-mixed synthetic of similar temperature and specific gravity.

Summary:
Regardless of how well a system is designed and constructed, there will always be maintenance. Frequent partial water changes are one of the best ways of ensuring continuing success.
There are manufacturers who claim their products do away with the need for frequent partial water changes. Their products may well extend the amount of time between changing or ostensibly eliminate it, but at what economic cost?
With the proper tools and materials, water changes are a breeze. Water changing is the cheapest, easiest, most sure method of diluting wastes and replenishing buffering capacity, "trace materials", while concurrently cleaning the system of undesirable solids and liquids.

sorry rick, i don't see anything in that post that give me any specifics to change from my current maintenance activities. except to make salt manufacturer rich.

i can concede to doing water changes if you have a fish tank, then sure, having an excessive bio-load build-up in a small confined space is nessessary if you want healthy critters.

but really Rick, how difficult can it be to test the quality of your water column, to see WHEN you need to do a water change. when i get an organic reading that indicates a need to change that water, i will.

Hrmm..

Obviously, one of the concepts that we deal with is uptake of nutrients and expulsion of waste.

There are things that even corals need that you can't test for that are available in newly mixed salt water (see the kent salt analysis thread).. Without a test kit to know if they're low, or waste of a certain kind too high, how will you ever know you need to change the water?

Ie.. do you have a test kit for molybendium? Might be low, but you'll never know (might be too high by the same token.) You might have a high zinc concentration from the skin flakes (dust) that settles on the water surface. Without a test kit, you'll never know.

Without a complex chemical analysis of your existing water, you'll never know if something is too high or low. Don't assume that the test kits you have cover every chemical compound important for the health of your tank. The simplest way to avoid this is a frequent partial water change.

Couldn't agree more with rick and others. We test maybe 5 or 6 (and that is if your good) out of hundreds of things in the water. It's not understood well at all what most of these others do so your just risking it in my opinion.

Also hobby test kits are not that accurate escpecially at low levels so if you detect things it's to late in my opinion.

The best analogy I've ever heard is it's like changing the oil in your car. All will be fine until one day the engine blows up!

nuff said