UV Sterilizer on Pico Tank For Algae Control

MartinMan

Premium Member
I recently set up two 5 gallon Pico tanks one with a lot of flow and probably way too much light.  The other with no powerhead and a lot less light.  On the problem tank I'm running a Black Box 80 watt LED and the tank is only 12" deep.  Everything looked great for about a week, but today I'm experiencing a really bad algae bloom in the one with the big light.  The other tank looks fine with just a 30 watt LED strip, so I'm sure the light is over kill on the problem tank.  I plan to have only sps frag racks in the tank I'm having the bloom in.  The clean tank hasn't been set up as long and I'm sure this is probably just New Tank Syndrome.  However even after a 90% water change and replacing the Black Box with the smaller 30 LED strip, I'm still getting the film algae.  I'm sue I will just have to scrub the little tank down and use the smaller light.  I'm considering trying a small UV light in the filter box area.  I plan to do 90% water changes weekly to keep water pristine but would really prefer to use the big light.  Would something like what I linked below help with the algae or is this just something I'm going to have to give some time..Thankshttps://www.ebay.com/itm/rOXIN-7W-11W-Submersible-Algae-Bloom-Clean-Light-for-Aquarium-Water-Clean-Green-/153484490147?_ul=AR