Using chemi-clean. Is it too early to dose again?

I have a 90g tank and 20g fuge/sump. At 8PM Friday night I put 8 level scoops of Chemi-clean in my display tank. (after mixing it with a cup of RO water) It has barely touched the cyano. Is it too early to go ahead and dose again. The instructions say to wait 48 hours, but with 8 hours to go there hasn't been much change.

Also, should I dose an extra scoop or two? I was hoping to have this done by today. I don't want my tank to go too much longer without the skimmer.
-Chuck

I'd be afraid of dosing again so soon considering that it affects oxygenation.

Have you thought about cutting the lighting off in combination with the chemi-clean?

@Ashlar wrote:
I'd be afraid of dosing again so soon considering that it affects oxygenation. Have you thought about cutting the lighting off in combination with the chemi-clean? said:
I would. But, I am a little afraid to keep the lights off for 2 days with my SPS.

Only a 4 hours to go, so I can wait.

-Chuck

I know this may seem like an odd question, but what color is the Chemi-Clean? I've heard that if it's a tan/brown color, it won't do you much good, but if it's white, you're okay. I'm not sure if that holds any truth, though.

I dont have the instructions with me but I believe it would be ok to dose again. I think the box said that you could dose again after 48 hours. It cleared the slime in my tank pretty quickly. It did take a few days for it to totally disappear. I only dosed once though. I was also pleased with the fact that it had no ill effects on my corals (not even xenia). Good luck!

Mine is white.

The instructions say that I can dose again in 48 hours, so I did. Now, should I wait only 24 hours for a water change? Or, should I wait an additional 48 hours for my water change of 20%?

-Chuck

Wait 48 hours before doing that water change. After that, turn on your skimmer again.

Have you been running carbon by any chance? That will nullify the product.

@Marc wrote:
Wait 48 hours before doing that water change. After that said:
Ok. I'll wait to do the water change. I don't have any carbon or posphate remover in the tank. I am thoroughly cleaning my skimmer while it is out during treatment. I turned off the main lights and just have the actinics on.

In nearly 72 hours it has only succeeded in making the cyano stringy.

-Chuck

I had cyano in my main tank within the first 6 months. I used the hard air tubbing and siphoned it out everyday for 1 week. Each time I dumped about 5 gallons of water with it. After that 1 week, a 50% water change took care of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Yeah Chuk, you're on the right track! Mine went through the same stages. Got stringy, then dark reddish brown color, then it disappeared! Took several days to go through this process.

I just siphoned out as much as I could into a filter sock. Tomorrow night I will do the 16 gallon water change. Hopefully, my problem will be fixed. I am nervous about not having my skimmer going for so long.

-Chuck