Urchins

Crotalus

Premium Member
My wife brought home 20 pincushion urchins from school.  I sold 10 to a LFS.  I put the rest in my tank.  They are great at eating algae.  They clean rocks and glass even better than snails. The downside is they are like little tanks.  They grab anything that isn't nailed down and use it for camouflage.   They can drop little pebbles in your pumps.I just bought a green goniopora.  I had drilled a hole in a live rock and dropped the plug in the hole with some glue.  This morning the hole was empty and no coral was in sight.  The urchins hide by day, usually in plain sight, but I didn't see the coral.  I waited till the lights had been off for a couple of hours and started looking with a flashlight.  One urchin was halfway up the glass and there was the plug firmly in his grasp.  I used a lot more glue this time.

This made me laugh!  I have one tuxedo urchin in my 65-gallon tank, and he does the same thing.  I'm always rescuing snails that he picks up, and once he dragged a bed of zoas halfway across the tank before I caught it.  They're definitely little tanks, but I don't regret getting him (yet).View attachment 5704