Upgrading pump on a protein skimmer - need suggestions

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
I have an AquaC EV-180 that's been running for over a year and a half with a Mag 7. I'm looking to put something with a bit more horsepower on it (nothing extreme, just a bit better) to get some better performance out of it.

My return pump and closed loop pumps are both Mag 9.5's and I have no complaints about them.

I am considering just putting a 9.5 on the skimmer, but am definitely willing to listen to alternate recommendations. The pump will have to be submersible (obviously).

I put am Mag 9.5 on my EV-180 skimmer and love it. The only thing to watch out for is the first couple of days it will probably skim like crazy. I think mine pulled out a good 5 gal of water. It took a bit of tweaking with the air inlets to get it dialed into where I want it. I would recommend the mag 9.5 for it. The other advantage of using the 9.5 is it can be a back up for the closed loop or return pump if there is a problem with them.

I ran a mag 9.5 on a ev150. Have to control it a little with a ball valve. Other than possible heat issues, I think it would work fine.