Upgrade From JBJ 45 to 120G

raullozano3

Premium Member
Not sure what is going on the forums, but it is twice when I post a topic and it seems nothing gets published.Here I go again.Migrating my JBJ 45 to a 120G plus sump (so probably like 140G) tank, so far so good, dealt with a mini cycle, some plumbing issues, making the saltwater having my stock on bags and buckets, lost a cleaner shrimp :(. It was a crazy weekend but finally done. Thanks also to the LFS (exotic aquatics on helping on the initial setup, some water and sand and plumbing)BTW my old tank is now available on the dry goods and the goodies.Before:View attachment 9162 After: View attachment 9450

Here are some updated picsAnd the gear: 
  • <li data-xf-list-type="ul">Planet Aquarium Rimless 120G with upgraded front Crystal/ Internal Overflow.</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Planet Aquarium Elegance Black stand.</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Sump Trigger systems Emerald 39"</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Protein Skimmer Red Sea rsk-600</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Clarisea 3000</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">APEX SYSTEM Already had it.
    • <li data-xf-list-type="ul">LSM module</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">WM module</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">FMM module</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">COR-20 Return PUMP getting about 1023 gph.</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">FS-200</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Trident (love this thing and with the DOS system) I have th ALK on par, even after the upgrade tank.</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">2 DOS systems for NOPOX/2 PART DOSING/ AMINOS (Already had)</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Breakout box with some switches and sensors on it.</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Leak Sensors I already had</li>
    </li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Fuge Light</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">2 Kessil 160w already had before</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">2 Kessil a360we had to go with this to control with the apex, (if you have not figures out I am a control freak)</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Tunze ATO (Already had)</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">2 ECOTECH MP40s</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">Heaters Fluval and a Jaeger (getting some titanium ones)</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">ATO container 20G (under the black box that doesn't look part of the stand)</li><li data-xf-list-type="ul">And well no fish room, I wish I had one, so for that I had to have a lot of space on the back to move around, do not like tanks all the way to the wall.</li>
There were some plumbing issues, but well one of this days will clean it up, too late to make that many changes :)View attachment 9457

Updated PIC, after a month, had some Cyano I think I brought from my 45g, did the Chemiclean treatment, there is a lot of work on that treatment, protein skimmer going nuts and well worried that something would happen to the stock, but I guess if you follow instructions should be fine.View attachment 9657

Thanks, with this COVID-19 thing, I been working on moving my RODI system to the Garage, run RODI tubing plus CAT5 from the garage tot he Office about 30 ft run, Had to do it from the outside, and use PVC as a conduit to run the tubes and cables, Also working on a saltwater stations and using a DOS for auto water changes, since I added CaRX do not need to do 2 part dosing. Work in progress, but weekends and weekdays have been long, had to put my mind into something, besides taking care of the fam, and some work ( I said some, since my customers are in the same boat as anyone so there is not much to do for now)

Well it is been a while I have posted on any forums, but the most important one for me is DFWMAS! either way here are some pics but 2020 really brought me some excitement with the upgrade and frustrations too.
I lost most of my SPS and some LPS to RTN probably nutrient management, and parameters and also even that it was a tank upgrade I would think any big change it is like starting from scratch so right now going over the uglies like Green Hair Algae, cyano and well it is till a 1yr old tank. Some of my life stock decided to jump even with a screen I guess via the feeding openings, so I lost a pin tail wrasse and a cleaner wrasse, replaced them with anthias which I like, but the rest of the stock is still there. Thank is progressing got some new SPS that are doing great again, and well some corals like my duncan is going over an infestation of GHA, I am deeping it on peroxide mix every week so so to see if I can kill the GHA withou having to use toothbrush.
Got me a BTA, but it decided to go on the part of the tank that is facing the back so I can not seeit that well. Either way I am happy camper and learning with it.
View attachment 11975

@cozumelreef78 my anthias are all doing ok , I have a pair of Lyre tails and a pair of dispar not the recommended ratio but have not seen any problem I have them for almost 5 months now

Well I guess every time I include an EMOJI on my posts they fail to post, so here I go again, recently I went to the Dallas Coral Farmers marker show, and ended up buying some across and even won a raffle for some Goni and lepton, and as everyone know on this hobby one purchase takes you to another purchase so ended up adding more lights (2 orphek bars) I was going to wait for the SKY's but $800.00 for each light to steep for my pocket. Want to go heavy on SPS so now I am getting the PAR that I was looking for.  Here are some updated filter and unfiltered photos.
View attachment 13021
View attachment 13020

BTW I have some extra Kessil Arms and goose necks now, will post them on the market but if anyone is interested PM me.

Happy new year!! wish all the DFWMAS folks a prosperous 2022, here are some updated pics and I am making an addition to my tank, instead of upgrading my 120, I am adding next to it a 30G cube for only anemones and a few clowns (kind of inspired on Marc's nem cube). if you could see on previous pics I have my trident on a cover for my ATO build with 2"X"2 as the frame. that is where I will put the nem tank, that way it just looks like and addition and will connect it to my current sump, increasing the water volume to aprox 180G. Now just waiting on the tank to arrive on my LFS.

View attachment 13809
View attachment 13810
View attachment 13811

So here are some photos of the tank addition, very happy with the setup but the anticipated 3 hours I had to do the plumbing and setup took almost 10 hours, I ended adding about 30 lbs of rock with only two boulders, but that was the plan do not want to add much besides a couple of clowns and the anemones plus some inverts that I can't add right now thanks to my melanurus.
View attachment 13981
View attachment 13978
View attachment 13977
View attachment 13980
View attachment 13975
View attachment 13973
View attachment 13969
View attachment 13982