TWO TANGS IN ONE TANK

tshirtsbyjeff

Membership Expired
I JUST PUT A SAILFIN TANG IN MY TANK YESTERDAY. IS IT POSSIBLE TO INTRODUCE A YELLOW TANG IN IN 7 OR 8 DAYS? WILL THEY FIGHT AT ALL?

THEY WILL BOTH BE ABOUT 3 INCHES.

I NEED SOME GUIDEANCE PLEASE

Tangs tend to be very territorial to other Tangs with the same body shape... The rule of thumb, except for very large tanks, is to only introduce one Tang of any particular genus...

Sailfin Tangs are Zebrasoma veliferum (Or Zebrasoma desjardinii for a Red Sea Sailfin Tang) and a Yellow Tang is a Zebrasoma flavescens, so their genus names are the same...

Having said that, yes sometimes you can get two to live together in harmony, but the "rule of thumb" on Tangs would preclude putting a Yellow and a Sailfin together...

another factor is how big your tank is...the bigger the tank the better

I had a sailfin and a yellow and they got along great until the sailfin got sucked onto an intake and died. I added another sailfin about three weeks ago and they are gettin along great. Maybe I have gotten lucky-twice.

I have three tangs. My yellow tang is the boss of the tank, and about 4" diameter. The sailfin tang is the same size, and the powder blue is the smallest, at about 3". They are all in the 140. The first two were together in the 50, but when I moved them to the 140, they jostled each other for about a week, staking out territory. When I added the powder blue, the yellow chased him around for about 5 days. They were fine in about a week, and the yellow and sailfin swim together most of the time.
It worked for me! I do realize however, that with time, they will grow and someone may have to go.
Catherine

Now this may be just dumb luck but i had a sailfin a scopas and a cuvier's tang in a 70g 36x18 footprint. all aded at different times; the two zebrasoma's acted like best freinds. Now in my 265g which the rules change from what most people tell me but i still question that rot i have a regal sailfin unicorn and a clown tang the regal is a parancanthurus and the clown is an ancanthurus quarell a little but the clown ocasionally hates the sailfin which is a zebrasoma. The regal and clown have very similar shapes but the sailfin and clown have the same habits. I was worried about the clown from the begining as they seem to be mean but most of my concerns were towards the regal as she is a pushover. So with all said who knows. also on a side note the cuvier's tang was not at all bothered by any tang near him but add a wrase and all heck broke loose. Go figure.