Tunze Vs Vortech.......

Ok I am about to pull the 4 crapy pumps I have in my tank and get one good one. I have been reading and comparing, reading user reviews and so on... many users say the vortech's are incredible but they wish they had just gotten tunze's. So I was hoping maybe someone here who has had both could give me some good comparisons. I don't know which to get...I am just looking for something to add good movement to the middle of my tank.

@fangeo wrote:
Ok I am about to pull the 4 crapy pumps I have in my tank and get one good one. I have been reading and comparing said:
Hi,

Regardless of the one you chose, you will probably still need more than one pump in order to eliminate dead spots. and get good overall flow :wink:

Cheers,

I have Tunzes now, and have been contemplating switching to Vortechs. The big thing that is keeping me from making the switch is the positioning of the Vortechs. You can not aim them or tilt them. They only blow straight ahead so you have to position them accordingly.

If you are looking for a good deal on a Tunze setup, check the Sale forum.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=41040

good deal on wave box and streams

i have owned both tunze (currently) and vortech. will only buy tunze till a second version of vortech comes out too many bugs in my opinion. plus like the option i can control the tunzes with my ac3

I have a 120 and only 1 Vortec. I also have a Koralia 3 and a Seio 820. I hope to replace these or just add to them with another Vortec that would be a slave. I like them because they don't take much room inside the tank.

Kay

I have had Tunze (6100s) in my reef for over two years. I didn't like looking at them nor did I like cleaning them. When the VorTech came out, I was beyond excited, and at this point I have 3 on my tank and no Tunzes. This month's newsletter included my VorTech product review.

It comes down to what you want to see and deal with. I have zero regrets, and have been very pleased with my pumps. And I was very happy to not have to look at those Tunzes in my tank any more.

They both are quality products, and both will do good for your livestock.

Marc;
Do you know if the wireless vortechs have less issues? do they need cleaning like the tunzes or not as often?

i'm still undecided myself =/ I just want stronger 6055 tunzes! I've even thought about 6 6055's but... that's a lot of powerheads to hide. /sigh

Here is something else to consider for me... I seriously dont know what I do...but I have to clean my pumps weekly to keep the coraline algae from killing them... I have two Koralia that literally will get covered in coraline algae every week and I have to scrap them clean. And when i say covered i mean to the point its covering the vents! I have two other pumps that are supposed to move back and forth, that stoped months ago when I went on vacation came home and they were frozen still. I had to take a hammer to them last week and chipped off like 1/16" of coraline algae on them. So... I am afraid of spending a ton of money on the vortech's only to have them ruined by coraline algae. Or would the design make them easier to maintain than the tunze's???

Most of the Vortech is on the outside. I hardly ever clean mine. I've had it six months and taken the inside out once to clean it. The outside part doesn't need cleaning at all because it doesn't touch the water. There is coraline algae on it (the inside part) but doesn't seem to affect it. I keep my calcium at 400 for just that reason, to try to discourage the coraline algae.

Kay

Because of the width of the intake grates, it doesn't clog up even when feeding. Thus they don't need cleaning all the time.

I don't recall having any major issues with any of the ones I bought, other than one that arrived DOA. I just sent it back the same day and a few days later had one that worked.

The new controllers are very nice in that you can set the flow you like. I was up at Frank's Tanks, and Bo (Frank's son) has gotten it down to a science and they've easily got a 2" wave in a 6' or 7' long tank.

not sure if you have a aquacontroller but if you do... controllable tunze streams can be controlled with aquasurf module.

That's absolutely true. And there are threads to modify components to get even greater control, provided you don't care about warranty coverage.

Hey George, that may not be coraline algea, but rather a hard plate sponge. Kid you not, as I have some currently attempting to kill a star polyp colony (and being rather succesful, might I add...). It looks identical, a nice purple, but kind of lumpy.

@Darby wrote:
Hey George said:
If your having to clean them weekly due to true corraline, I think everyone is going to want to know what you are doing to your system to encourage that fast of growth :shock: I have to clean my streams about one a year, maybe twice. I have fairly good corraline growth and SPS growth as well.

I love the streams due to a: I got mine fairly cheap used, b: being able to better direct the flow. As far as stuff inside the tank, I'm a bigger fan of not having visible cords on the outside since I have a youngster that seems to think anything on the outside is for cleaning the glass :evil:

I think both are great products and the vortecs do look better to me. You can probably pick up a lot of Tunze stream kits fairly cheap because of all the people switching :wink:

Hey Marc, just read teh newsletter from December. I'd been knocking things back and forth as to what to pickup for the 90long I'm very slowly building, and I think you just solidified it for me for going with Vortechs. Thanks!

(of course, my wallet won't be happy about it, but luckily it's an inanimate object....)