Tunze owners - question?

Do you run your 6100 or 6200 at 100%?

My tank will be 60" long and I was thinking of using 6055's (2 each side) on 7095 controller because the 61xx seem so bulky - and I'm not sure if 3000gph is too much anyway. My tank will be mixed reef sps/lps with an intentional shallow sand bed in the front. Do you feel the 61xx are necessary for my 60x36x30 tank or 6055's enough?

(price/bulkyness in consideration)

I have 4 6100s( actually one is a 6200 now that I think about it ) in my 180 hanging off my island oveflow and pointed to towards the 4 corners of the tank. I run the 7095 multicontroller in interval 2 mode, which has two pumps in a cycle of 40% increasing to 80% for about 30 seconds and then switches to the other two pumps, the two pumps not on cycle are never off but run at minimal level or about 30%.

Chris....

I have two 6055's in my 90 (LPS Tank) and while they do produce good flow for their footprint, I would not rely on them for a 60" tank, especially if you want to keep SPS. I have a single 6055 in my 45 zoa/paly tank as well...

Now you can easily mod these by dremeling the half dome cover and improve flow rate and bump them up quite a bit.....

If you are worried about the form factor and you are willing to drop $$ on 6101's (new 6100's) or 6201's (new 6200's) then consider vortecs instead. Although Tunze has better long-term durability (many people have issues with vortecs and need to send them in) the price may actually be better right now. Tunze just upped their prices considerably due to the xchange rate of the US $ and are now much higher.

Dave;
Thanks =) hmm, even with 4 6055's do you think the flow would still be lacking? (2 on each side) (I was probably going to mod them)

This is also why I'm thinking this. I think 6101's would never bee at 100% so if I run them at 80%, then wouldn't I be just as well off with 6055's?

also - I can get 2 6055's for the price of 1 6101+magnetic holder... wouldn't that be better in terms of flow?

I was thinking
Option 1 - 2 6101's + magnets and 2 6055's
Option 2 - 4 6055's and "if" i need more flow, I can get 2 more 6055's and still be under option 1

I wish you were closer than Ft Worth so I could see one in action!! Koralia 4 = 6055 - which is why I considered them in the first place... even though K4's are pretty weak and HUGE.

(edit: I was considering Vortechs... but I've been hesitant b/c they cost more than either tunze option and I've heard issues from almost every owner that has them)

@chrissreef wrote:
4 6055's with mods?? I think that would be plenty. With the controller, you would max it out at 4 (unless you used splicers) so that would fit the 7095.

Now for a little more info on the 6055's. I like them... a lot. They put out nice flow, they look good and they are unobtrusive. However, they do have some issues with the clips. Tunze redesigned them so make sure you get ones that have the new clips included (or buy spares ahead of time). The plastic that they were made with had some issue where they would snap. Frustrating let me tell you...

So 4 6055's at roughly $225 each, plus a multi-controller at $270, you are looking at @$1200.

2 Vortecs with wireless drivers and battery backups... $989.

2 6101's plus controller..... $978.

Same price, roughly, no matter which way you go.

Thanks a TON Dave =)

Yea, if I go the 6055 route I'll check the SN and if they're the old clips, I'll contact Tunze for replacements.

"2 Vortecs with wireless drivers and battery backups... $989.

2 6101's plus controller..... $978. "

Since the tank is 36" deept 30 tall, I thought I might need 4 of any type of powerhead. 2 Vortech's and 2 6055's might be nice too... but they can't all be controlled by the same controller =(

hmm, I'll figure this out - again, thanks! =)

get a wavebox if you want good flow with the two tunzes that you have

I have a 6' long 220, I have 4 6100s and run them alternating from 100% to 30%. Two mounted on the left front one above the other, blowing across the tank, and one each on the back right and left blowing across the length. And a wave box on the right front blowing across the length. Do I think it is too much flow? Not if you are keeping sps corals. I still think there is not enough flow in spots in my tank. Consider the tidal wave zones that most sps corals thrive in.

@chrissreef wrote:
Thanks a TON Dave =) Yea said:
2 vortecs are all you'd need I would think... Marc has 3 in his 245 and Frank is working with 2 in his new 280 (and getting a big wave to boot).

Going two vortecs and then 2 6055's wouldnt be a had idea.... but no, they don't run on the same controller (without modification that is).

Really though... what I would suggest is the 2 vortecs, set them up on wavemaking mode and then get 2 or 3 MJ (with mod kits) for the spot flow to the SPS or areas that need it and run them off a red sea wavemaker. They put out about 1600 gph each and the vortecs are upwards of 3000.

Pampee is right on the wavebox. Something about the back and forth action that you dont get from powerheads. You can now get similar results from two vortechs on a wireless controller by running them master & slave and dialing them in, but the wavebox does it with one pump. Nothing else like it.

I personally would go with a wavebox and 2 6100s. You can always dial them back if need be and you will have them for years!

The wavebox helps incredibly in keeping the detritus suspended and with only 2 6100s there should be plenty of lower flow spots for your LPS to go!

Heck even with 2 waveboxes ad 6 6100s in mine (and ~4000GPH return) I have spots where LPS would be perfectly happy. There are always slower spots.

i use to be a tunze hater but i have seen the light. they are not as pretty as a vortec (previous owner) but in my opinion they are built better and more reliable.

getting the wavebox will make a big difference on your sps and even the lps. During the day i see my lps (acans and candycanes) have their tentacles out trying to grab food

The only ones who hate Tunze are people who can't afford them or the ones who always don't like the best (no matter what it is, some sort of envy thing I guess). They're stuff is pricey but if it was way overpriced then someone else would have supplanted them. Vortech was supposed to kill them but is just as expenive and has some issues. I'm not a Vortec hater at all though. I think the design itself is brilliant and has potential once they work all the bugs out.

There are very few Tunze owners I know who are dissastified at all! I've had them for about 8 years now and won't switch unless there is something truly better and cheaper out there. There service is also outstanding. Over the years I've had a handful of drivers go out, etc. Roger has always turned around in one day and replaced either free or at a very cheap cost if way out of warantee.