true vs. false percs -- Got a pair! Pics inside!

jbrownacu

Premium Member
my wife and i really prefer the true percs over the false ones. ive heard that true percs are a little more difficult to keep and was curious why that is. for someone that is new to SWA's, are they so difficult to keep that i should stay away from them? or are they hardy enough to handle some of my minor noobie mistakes that im sure ill make eventually?

the tank is about 2 months old with stable parameters, but i wasnt planning on getting clowns til i pass the 3 month mark.

also, if you know a good place to get healthy true percs let me know. store, online, or local breeder.

let me know your thoughts!
josh

I have never heard that there is a difference in difficulty in keeping either Perculas or Ocellaris. I'm pretty sure that ORA breeds both so this is the best way to get healthy fish unless someone locally is also breeding them. Most fish stores carry ORA livestock and I know the last time I was at Dallas North Aquarium looking for an Ocellaris all they had were Perculas.

thanks for the replies...still looking for info on them being more difficult. even the marine fish book has the 2 listed and it shows true percs to be more difficult.

I thought alot of the true percs are still wild caught, making them more fragile. While osci's are almost exclusevily captive bred now, making them alot hardier. So most likely the rating is becuase there is a chance you'll get wild caught true.

PW

thanks for all of the responses. since i am still new, i dont want to get something that i cannot provide a home that is better then they would have in the wild.

i am still going to wait another month or so before i get them. i need some more live rock first.

@jbrownacu wrote:
thanks for all of the responses. since i am still new said:
This is a commendable attitude! Too many people in this hobby run off and buy animals without due diligence. Bravo!

i purchased a mated pair of true percs when my tank was about 4 months old and they did fine...i still have them and they are awesome, a little aggressive and territorial, but awesome...i hate to admit it, but i had a pair of false percs in my other tank and unfortunately lost them...just a lil word from someone who has been in your shoes, and i am no way experienced, my current tank is only about a year old, and the tank i had before it was only a year old.

I have some false percs... The poor female has suffered through a lot. I attribute it to her captive-raised background.

I'm sure if you found someone on the board or somewhere near with some breeding percs willing to sell some of the babies that would be super cool.

i was sort of hoping that someone had a good connection for the true percs. i might even consider the onyx clowns because i like the black on them...which is why i prefer the true's over the false. i saw that a lady in houston breeds them, im just not going to be going to that area anytime soon. and if im going to spend that much $$ on fish, i need to have a little more experience under my belt :)

I've got a very happy pair of ocellaris! Both ORA bred, I think. They host in anything that lets them, eat anything we give them, and are full of personality and fun to watch.

Those clowns are some of the easiest fish to keep and are often the first fish someone tries, except for maybe chromis or some damels (fish from hell). Don't let the differences between the two scare you when you think you are ready to try them. Some of the other species are more difficult, but clowns as a whole are hardy and forgiving.

My advice for someone first starting out is to make a list of those fish you want to keep, then figure out the order in which they should be added, the more territorial and aggressive going last. Then wait until you are sure you can have some success, then go for it one (or two) at a time allowing yourself some space between to see how they do and how well you do keeping them.

Eventually you will end up with all your fish and everyone will be happy and healthy.... hopefully!

@DaveJ wrote:
My advice for someone first starting out is to make a list of those fish you want to keep said:
This is the best advice you will ever get, i started out without knowing this, either from lack of reading or mear ignorance and purchased a yellow tang as my first fish after cycling. This was a HUGE mistake...he made getting anything else a major chore because he thought he owned the entire tank, still does actually. I know a little off topic, but i believe the loss of my false percs may have been because of him.