Trouble locating a CO2 tank.

chrisT

Membership Expired
I cant seem to find one locally, I checked with home depot and the have 10 lb bottles but they are not food/beverage grade. I have found them online but I was hoping to find one locally and get it filled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe USA Aquarium Trading had 5 and 10 lb CO₂containers the last time I was there. (1717 E. Spring Creek Pkwy - off 75 at Spring Creek, the Garden Ridge Center).

Why would that matter? You can refill a CO2 tank at a welding supply, and that is the same gas they sell/provide to liquor stores for beer and sodas.

I'm just asking, as I don't know the answer. To me, a tank is a tank, and the gas is apparently the same no matter where you buy it.

Then again, some of the 'premium' bottled waters aren't nearly as pure as what you might expect.

@Marc wrote:
Why would that matter? said:
Food grade CO2 bottles are glass lined. Welding bottles are not (solid steel).

If ANY water gets in the tank the mixture of water and CO2 will cause rapid rusting of the inside of the bottle.

When the tank goes empty there is a "chance" water will condense back into the bottle given the environment.

Food grade bottles are supposed to be washed at each time it is filled.

Also, many food grade bottles have a higher pressure rating than the welding grade bottles. Means fewer trips for fill up.

Welding / food / beverage pure CO2 is, I believe exactly the same.

Frank is generally correct though I know tons of people who have used a welding one with zero issues so it's not a huge issue. There are several places you can try that will be cheaper the DNA.

1) Any of the "brew your own beer" type stores should have them at reasonable prices. Several will also refill at decent prices vs swapping one out every time at Airgas or the like.

2) Resteraunt supply stores. Call a few. I actually got my 20# tank from one for less then half of the price I found anywhere else!

If you don't care if it's food grade (again this is largely a non factor) then the easiest thing to do is to go to Airgas and buy a full one there and just swap it out everytime.

I know you said local but I found that trying to find one local is pretty expensive. I got a 5# stainless steel one new for about $55 from Ebay. I got it filled this past weekend and Two Bucks Liquor store at 35W and Felix in Fort Worth for $9.