Trimming Fuge

aeroutaF35

Premium Member
What are the do's and dont's when trimming a fuge? I have all sorts of plants in there and its about to overflow out of my 29g tank.

The zip lock bag that serk gave me as really taken off. I'll try and get a picture tonight.

I believe you're technically 'sposed to remove algae as a single unit, or use scissors so it pinches the cut closed at the site of the incision...

Having said that, I just reach in and yank big ole' chunks out. I do suggest ya' try to line up a new home for the prunings before pulling it out though... :)

I'd love to see some pics of it now, glad to hear it's doing well!

Yep! Consider, that out in the ocean, fish simply eat the stuff. Pinching it off, same as a fish, is a good idea - leave some of the roots, if there are any.

Sounds easy enough.. i hate to loose all the pods and stuff that will be trimmed off. I've heard of using the trimmins for food???

@aeroutaF35 wrote:
I've heard of using the trimmins for food??? said:
I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think you will like the taste of it. :lol:

Some tangs will eat some of it. If you want to try, just put a small amount on a clip in your display to see if they eat it. If they don't just remove it.
-Chuck

It's been awhile, but I believe I've read that feeding clippings of plants in an export refugium may not be a good idea. While plants in a natural environmwent absorb nutients, it's not on the scale that is done in the refuge. Has anyone else heard of this?

I feed certain kinds to my fish - grape caulerpra is a favorite for my tang and foxface. However, taxifolia (looks like a feather) is poisonous to fishies. Good cleaner plant, tastes bad.

Just be careful which ones you feed.

Actually, I think all Calupera species are toxic to some extent... But, keeping things in perspective, Jalapenos are "toxic" to humans, and that's the very reason we like 'em!

My Tang's have never touched any of the Calupera I've offered, but they go crazy for the Red Gracillaria!

Just like everything else in life, it's probably an acquired taste. Who are we to question what our fish eat. After all, they have managed to survive after being captured, bagged and transported, dumped into our invironments, and then forced to look at our ugly "mugs" for most of the day. If they only had tongues, they would probably better express themselves.

My fish love grape. My rabbit fish would not eat off the clip and when I was trimming or doing something in my fuge some pieces flew into my tank. he started going crazy eating it all. i then used it to train him to eat off the clip. $.02