The unthinkable

Andrew

Membership Expired
Was out of town this weekend, and got back last night and noticed three quarters of my zoas closed, same ting this morning. I always dip all my corals with coral rx, but just noticed about 5 zoa eating nudibranchs, jst got some flatworm exit and am starting to dip, trying to find a seperate system so i can starve them out in the main tank..... Man this sucks, already 6 frag plugs obliterated from nextwave......

I think so, my cousin decided to buy me a gift on thursday of a zoa rock from keller farms, did not ask me but showed up wih it, i was on my way out of town and i did not dip as long as i normally do, just a quick swoosh because i was in a hurry. Pretty sure that is the culprit.... Just sucks on o see all that money and time go down the drain, so far the count out is a 10 polyp rasta, 3 polyp blondie, 6 polyp car, 25 polp miami vice, and 10 polyp magicians. All colonies and frags are distressed and are being dipped in 4x silfert flatworm for 1 hour, counted 14 of em so far.

All zoas have been dipped and put back in, to be on the safe side and to totally eradicate the problem, i am buying a solana tomorrow, and am going to be firs dipping in coral rx, then inspecting for eggs, then transferring to a dip wih 4x dose sailferts and then into the new solana, going to fill the solana with half of my main tanks water and half of the old water(pending tests). Hopefully by the main tank staying dormant of any zoanthids they will die off, and my plan is to keep it zoanthid free for at least 3 months.

Sorry for your loss Andrew. I know I do not have those zoas but if you need any I have I can hook you up.

noo worries, its my fault, these things happen, just picked 5 out of the main tank jus now, hopefully i can get the solana up and going and get everything dipped inspected and transferred over tommorow night... Gonna be a long night as i am not picking up the tank till 6

This might be too little too late, but do have a six-line wrasse? Not sure if it would touch the nudibranches, but would eat the flatworms fairly quickly.

*sorry, misread OP, the six line would probably eat the eggs though.

You've got my sympathies, Andrew. I was eyeing that frag of rastas at Next Wave pretty hard.

Everything transfer over to the Solana okay?

i was yp till five getting the solana up, and waned to make sure of no minincycle before i dip and transfer, all the tests look good so i am gwtting ready to dip now, gotta do some rearanging because the solana came packed full of corals.

Well I've been MIA for a couple days and this is what happens, Andrew if you need anything from me, let me know.

FW Exit really doesn't work that well for nudis... Coral RX will shake the hatched ones off, as will iodine. Potassium Pergramanate is the best alternative since it actually kills the eggs too. There is a sticky on the LPS forum for it.

Natural, 6-lines, yellow coris or any coris wrasse will munch on em.

You can also do fresh water dips using tank temp RO/DI or hyposalinity solutions. Those are harder on the corals but zoas and plays do okay with them if you don't leave em in for long.

got the advice from http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html
It worked like a champ and melted them off the zoas way faster and better than coral RX from what i noticed. I have not seen a single one since transfering all the zoas to the solana. I am sure they are still in the main tank, and it will stay bare of zoanthids for at a minimum four months.

Glad it worked for you, i never had much luck with it. Stunning them yes, but not melting them and killing them off when I had some way back when.

Yup,
I have overdosed FW exit to kill off nudi's with great success in the past. I alway's do a concentrated dip and inspect for egg's now for all new zoas before going in the tank.

Cheers,

Heres a coupla pics from onight of some of the zoas that made it and are coming back. Biggest upset was the blondies for me. Radion will be here monday.
ad393a48-bb99-f58b.jpg
alt="">
ad393a48-bbb8-d89e.jpg
alt="">
ad393a48-bbd6-02be.jpg
alt="">
ad393a48-bbe2-82fa.jpg
alt="">
ad393a48-bbf1-67dd.jpg
alt="">
ad393a48-bc00-9209.jpg
alt="">