The progress of my new 90g

[When I got home last night from the meeting I decided to upload some shots of the tank I've been working on and update my pics. I had a couple of dicussions about it and thought I would show yall what I've done so far. The pics are located on Reefcentral.com so I won't link. But, here is the gallery (if this link is broken just look up my gallery under Modo).

I just recently got this digi cam so the shots aren't that great, especially after sizing them down. The stain looks really bad and red in these photos.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery....thumb=1

Synopsis:
I got married and disassembled my 4+ year old 29g SPS/LPS tank that moved here with me from school in Lubbock (get your guns up). So, of course I decided to upgrade once we got settled in.

Tank: 90g glass Oceanview custom drilled with two bulkheads for returns in the back glass and one bulkhead lower for a closed loop intake. One overflow on the left side.

Stand: I built the stand to have an inside of around 32" and 36" overall. I stained it using Minwax all in one Polyurethane (sp?) to match the furniture in the room. If I was to do it over I would not use the 2in1. It's alot thicker than I'm used to and I couldn't get as good a finish as I would have liked. The back is open for air circulation.

Canopy: Built to match the base. The open back was covered with egg-crate for two reasons...suicidal fish and Curiosity's homocidal tendencies towards house cats. The door pulls completly off and attaches with magnetic door stops. I really don't need these because the door fits flush, but it's better safe than sorry if I'm kneeled underneath.

Lighting: 2 250-watt Coralvues ran off a generic PFO-style ballast (magnetic). The reflectors are PFO or Spider I forget which, but they are mirror-like.

Filtration: I took both the MACO courses for Acrylic Manufacturing and built a 24" Beckett Injection Skimmer and Calcium Reactor. I'm going with the currently, oh so controversial 4" DSB and will add 90# of LR. I'll also add old dead rock leftover from my old 29g in the sump.

Sump: The old 29g with baffles. Like I said above I'll drop in some old LR to get the pods in gear and good sponge growth. It won't be lighted because I'm not growing any macro to start off.

Pumps/Circulation: I have a Blueline (not sure of the model) that runs roughly 1100 gph connected to my skimmer. I have a GenX Mak4 as my main return. I still have yet to build the closed loop, but I will use around a 1000gph pump with a SCWD for wave action (anyone got an extra one of these for sale?).

I've plumbed, built and just about got everything in working order. I did a fill test with freshwater on Sunday and found a leak that needs to be fixed. Other than that I'm ready to rock and roll! I still need to do some finishing work on the stand and need to construct the Closed Loop, but these can be done in an afternoon.

I have sand and just need to order the rock and mix the water. I've been debating on where and what rock to get and I think I may just go with The Marine Center's Fiji.

Please feel free to ask any questions or comments. That's why I'm posting! Let me know what you guys think.]

[Nice. Do u happen to have the blueprints/instructions to the DIY skimmer and calc reactor as they look pretty good.

thanx]

[Kurt,
About the live rock, you ought to check with Cody at Cleburne Marine. I have not personally bought any from him, but I have seen some of the rock he has sold and for the price you can not beat it. He will also deliver the rock to Dallas for a very fair price. He is listed as one of the sponsors of the board.]

[May I be so bold as to suggest Palmetto Reef for live rock.
They put together a nice assortment for me consisting of 50% marshall, 30% kaelini, and the remainder divided amongst tonga branch and spiny fiji branch. I went with their "cured rock" which suprisingly was actually cured, arriving via freight smelling fresh with no die off. My tank cycled very fast with virtually no ammonia spike. Be sure to check their forum on reefcentral for pictures of their new "ultra" rock--looks really good.]

[Thanks for all the responses. I'll definately check out these other folks for rock. I like the idea of mixing some different types.

Nice. Do u happen to have the blueprints/instructions to the DIY skimmer and calc reactor as they look pretty good. said:
The course was around 6-weeks if I remember correctly. Each week was a lesson on design and technique and then you would do the next step. Included in the course where templates made of MDF that you use on a router to cut each piece. So, yes I have the instructions but there really isn't any blueprints per say.

What did it cost to build that reactor? I can't wait to see it when you get it going. said:
The cost of the materials were added into the cost of the class. But I imagine one can be built for under a couple of hundred. It all depends on the cost of your acrylic. The 6" cast tube is what really sets you back.

Mbarta was part of this class as well. He might be able to remember somethings that I'm forgetting.]