The canopy!

chrisT

Membership Expired
[Well its been hot in the garage so I have been LAZY! I finally got all the trim work done and the door all worked out. Right now it has its first coat of finish on, which is a 50/50 mix of poly and mineralspirts. This coat locks the grain in place and also gives the canopy a better chance of staining evenly. The next step is to apply the stain, then semi gloss poly, and also paint the inside to seal it.

Cant wait to get it done and on the tank( I am taking forever to get this tank going, I dont appreciate marc making me look so bad with his 14 day thread :wwww: J/k!)

Here are some pics.

canopy1.jpg
alt="">
canopy3.jpg
alt="">
canopy5.jpg
alt="">
canopy6.jpg
alt="">
canopy4.jpg
alt="">]

[Looks awesome! Where did you get the hideaway hinges? I need some for my canopy that Im gonna start this week-end.

Andy]

[WOW is all I can say. Chris that is just amazing looking to me. I am very impressed with your wood working skills. I want to build a canopy like your at some point, but my wood working skills are just not there.]

[Thanks Everyone!

The hinges are from Home Depot. They are in the same area as the cabinet knobs, and such.]

@Maldivan wrote:
[what did you use for the recesses in the hinges? Some sort of chisel?] said:
[Andy,

I won't speak for how Chris did it, but the one way is to use a Forstner bit sized for the hole you need. A Forstner bit is designed to remove alot of material in a circular shape. Obviously, you wouldn't go all the way through, just to the depth of the hinge. They also sell special hinge boring bits.

Here's a little more info on it:

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77A07.pdf]

[Thanks Duane! I was going to use those on my hood but I got lazy and had some time constraint issues. I had to go w/a piano Hinge. It works :)

Andy]

[That thing is awsome. What kind of wood is that? I'm in the process of starting my new tank and still debating on what wood i should use. Right now i'm leaning more towards oak, but HD and Lowes do not sell alot of the oak trim i like. I'd use pine but it's hard to stain.]

[The whole canopy is oak or oak plywood, all from home depot. You are correct about staining pine, I hate it and wont ever use it again. I would rather route a custom peice of trim from some type of hardwood. I have it stained, and I am working on the third coat of polurethane, staining is a slow process for me( I am still learnig and a little obsessive about a nice finish). I will post some upadated pics this evening.

Thanks for all the kind words!]

[I started by making a pattern out of plywodd by taking a thin peice of hardwood and bending it and attached a string to both ends so it looked similar to bow. I then traced along the bow with a pencil to give me a nice sweeping curve. Now comes the fun part I used a jig saw to cut to the line leaving about 1/16 of an inch to do some final tweaking. To get the last of the exess wood off I used a belt sander to sand right up to the line followed by some hand sanding. Then I used my pattern as guide for a flush trim bit in the router, I used double stick tape to attach the pattern to a peice of oak, I cut the oak to the same dimensions as the pattern but leaving the 1/16th again. Then I used the router with the flush trim bit which leaves a clean crisp edge.]

[Ok heres some more pics. I really had a hard time matching the canopy to the stand, I followed the same procedure but no two pieces of wood are the same. I think it looks pretty good. Right now it has two coats of poly and has been steel wooled awaiting its third and last coat. I am just excited I get to do something that gets me one step closer to getting this thing filled. I have the material for the sump, just have to find some time to build it ( I also need some more practice gluing joints. :lookaround: ).

standcanopy3.jpg
alt="">

standcanopy2.jpg
alt="">

standcanopy1.jpg
alt="">]