Thanks for your help

I am admitedly a failrly new reefer, my income is low, so finding things in my budget is hard. I found this auction on EBay and I wondered if it would be adequate to start me out. I can do minor wiring, so that is not a problem. Thanks in advance... Here is the link:

175 Watt MH Ballast & Light Socket (a)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190176707336&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Sorry for not posting the url earlier

Hi, even thought the sale has ended, if you could give me your opinion on it as a MH setup for a 29 gal tank, 36X12X16, wanting to keep softies and SPS mainly. Perhaps a clam????

Would you have any suggestions on the type of MH lighting I should be searching for, or would T-5 do me just fine with my tank being only 16" deep? I for sure wish a few SPS, I'd love some tinuis, but that may be out of the question along with the clam. Whatever lighting I can get, will probably have to be a DYI as my budget allows. Thanks

FYI another one has been listed
http://cgi.ebay.com/175-Watt-MH-Ballast-Light-Socket-a_W0QQitemZ190179629391QQihZ009QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm only afraid now that like was suggested earlier that that type of lighting will fry my tank. I will mostly have softies, and the tank is only 16" deep. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

@lacybiker2000 wrote:
I'm only afraid now that like was suggested earlier that that type of lighting will fry my tank. I will mostly have softies said:
It won't fry your tank if you have a fan blow across the water. I have a 250 watt mh over a BioCube 29. With a fan I never have heat issues.

Auto top off is not an option right now, so I do it all manually for all my nanos, It does not amount to much, plus I do 15-20% water changes every 7-10 days on all the tanks. Isn't there some other option that provides an adequate amount of light and yet does not have the tremendous heat? I also don't have a canopy yet Just glass tops on that tank.

@lacybiker2000 wrote:
Isn't there some other option that provides an adequate amount of light and yet does not have the tremendous heat? I also don't have a canopy yet Just glass tops on that tank. said:
Yes, there is another option, just not one on a limited budget. Solaris. Very expensive, but virtually no heat.

Your best bet is T-5s or Halides with a strong water surface fan. Also, IMHO you should ditch the glass tops if possible, as they compound the heat exchange issue. That point is my opinon only, based on experience with my 90G, not with nano tanks.

I understand what you mean, the glass tops are for two reasons, to keep the fish and splash in, and also as the current light fixture sits right on the tank it keeps splash from getting up into it. There are a few holes so to speak in the back where the HOB Fuge and heater are. Plus the fuge only has egg crate over it.

I think that if you go without a top you will do okay- you may have to run a fun of the top of the water if heat becomes an issue-

Also, bear in mind that the distance of the light from the tank may affect how much heat buildup you get, so if you suspend it higher up it should alleviate some of the temperature increase.