Tempered or not?

I really want to drill one of my tanks, but can't figure out if it's tempered or not. We tried the lighter thing, and the looking at your hand method, but I don't think they are reliable. Anyone know of another method, that obviously does not involve breaking the glass with a hammer?

If it helps, it's an old DAS tank, idk how old exactly cause it was used for many years before it was given to me.

Their is a test I think with computer monitor and polarized lens. I think it is on you tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know if this would help, but could you possibly find a serial number on the tank, contact the manufacture and ask them about the specifications of the glass?

place a book or something on the other side of the glass you wish to test. you need a polarized lens, look through the lens and through the glass at the book. then turn the lens clockwise 90°. If one way you can see the book and the other way you cannot, then you have tempered glass. same thing happens on my camera when my wife tries to take pictures with her polarized oakleys on. If she takes the picture landscape no problem, when she turns the camera to get a portrait shot, she cannot see the screen!

HTH

i tried the polarized lens thing...idk if i didnt do it right or what, but i didnt see anything strange going on. my husband tried it with a glass that he says he knows is tempered, but it didnt work...? so...my solution was to buy a "new" tank. its bigger than the one i wanted to dril too lol. oh well. ill see what happens, hopefully the husband doesnt crack the glass of the new tank [smilie=wait.gif]

Got a laptop handy?

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?9542-How-to-tell-if-glass-is-tempered.

no laptop [smilie=surprised.gif] does the tank have to be empty for you to be able to try that method? right now that tank is up and running.

@satyra wrote:
no laptop [smilie=surprised.gif] does the tank have to be empty for you to be able to try that method? right now that tank is up and running. said:
tank I think needs to be empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a water change and test it on the part that is not covered by water. I did this on my 180 DAS and it worked.

@Red wrote:
Do a water change and test it on the part that is not covered by water. I did this on my 180 DAS and it worked. said:
Not if its the bottom they want to drill!! [smilie=wink.gif]

Pet O rama in Arlington builds DAS tanks... They were able to tell me for sure that my tank did not have tempered glass... (817) 453-2043

LOL, i did want to drill the bottom...guess that wont be happening any time soon.

Ill try calling pet-o-rama and see if they know whats up with these tanks. this tank has gotta be like 15-20yrs old. our friend who gave it to us had it set up as a sw a long time ago, then a fw for years, then she asked us if we wanted it. thanks for the suggestions!