TAttel's 40 Gal Shallow Rimless Build

Here is the lighting. It is Aquatic life T5 with a great built in timer system which I love. With the old aquarium I just had to manually turn the whites off to create evening effect

The sump I made myself using 20gal from petco sale and the "floor plan" from Melev site. I had a spare sheet of 1/4 glass I cut and then siliconed in. Its a mess but hey I did it at night in 100 degree weather with little to no light.

I plan on a center refugium. Reef Octopus skimmer that is awesome took like 4hrs to break in and as you can see gunk coming out. Also, going to hook up a carbon/GFO filter which I hope will make things easier for me going forward.

No store bought...i did not want to take it on. It does not sit the way i would like but it will have to do

So far it is still cycling so no real pics except diatoms but from my existing tank i will be moving a Ora Target Mandarin, Clownfish, fire shrimp and Yellowtail Damsel. The Damsel will end up in the sump bc he is such a punk. Still thinking about additional I had a sixline wrasse and enjoyed him so that type maybe making his way in my tank soon and I love to add another Ora Blue/Green Mandarin

I want that fish so bad (Ora Blue Mandarin)! Just don't want to take the risk of them eating then wasting 80 dollars!

I believe the target or spotted is the way to kind of break in. Ora has released these first while the release of the blues was postponed alot. Having said that these fish to me require a lot of pampering around meal time which i think requires more advanced skillset. You are always making sure he is fed which is not hard but is tedious. water quality issues also come up

Nice setup. The uncluttered tank/stand/light combination looks great. Love those rimless tanks, really good job on that stand as well.

The main issue with the rimless for me has been fish carpet surfing. In fact 95% of the fish I have lost has been bc of this so I built a mesh top. The other b]problem I had with my old rimless is the nerite snails leaving the tank. To combat this I got some velcro to fix on the tank and top.

@Tattel wrote:
The main issue with the rimless for me has been fish carpet surfing. In fact 95% of the fish I have lost has been bc of this so I built a mesh top. The other b]problem I had with my old rimless is the nerite snails leaving the tank. To combat this I got some velcro to fix on the tank and top. said:
I had nassarius snail commit suicide that way too. What did you get that top? It looks very clean.