Tank disaster has struck - Advice / Help needed

Spar

Premium Member
Hi all,

First the good news - my first child was born this past Friday (Coralyn), and am greatly enjoying my time as a new parent, regardless of being sleep deprived at the moment! Baby and mother are both doing well. We just got home yesterday from the hospital (no more nurse help [smilie=crying.gif] ).

Now the bad news - i was welcomed home from the hospital with a leaking tank from a side seam... after speaking to AGE just now, they are convinced the issue is the bracing of the tank failing causing the glass to slowly (possibly quickly...) peel away, getting ready for a catastrophic event.

My tank is a 450g heavily stocked SPS/LPS reef. This breaks my heart that it will be torn down shortly to make way for resetting the countless hours of work that has gone into it. But... I have to act quick and smart... so will leave the drama preaching to another day.

What I need quickly:
I have 2 150g rubbermaid containers that I will be moving the livestock into. I have hardwood floors where the containers will be going and need to know what I can put underneath them to absorb a thousand pounds or more each where the containers will be while leaving no damage to the floors.

If you live near Plano and are available tonight to help with the transfer, I probably only need 2 people to support me. I have a bad back that is going to limit my ability to bend over to pull out coral, rock, and to chase fish around.

...more to come...

Assuming the wood floor is slab or well supported a sheet of hard or soft insulation foam from the hardware store will cover you, and honestly that's just to catch the water. I had my 300 on an oak floor over some columns in the basement with just the 4x4 corner posts and some 2x4 near them. No dents, marks, or anything else when I moved. I did have felt feed on the wood, but that didn't spread the load any. Having moved an established 200+ gallon tank recently I would give the base rock a quick swish in salt water to dislodge some gunk, and not try to move it all across to your tubs. I would also strongly consider a heavy dose of something like Prime or Safe. I have a big tub of Safe you need some, but I'm in Murphy and really can't get out of the house tonight so someone would have to come by.

So sorry to hear about your leak Cliff. I feel so bad for you. I would love to come help, but have a prior commitment this evening. If you're still in need of some help tomorrow afternoon/evening, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to assist in any way I possibly can. As far as protecting your wood floors, I agree that you should go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a couple 4x8 sheets of the blue or pink dense foam insulation. (The same stuff people place between their tank and stand). Should be able to handle the weight well and protect your flooring. Good luck with the unfortunate task ahead of you and congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Fatherhood is a blessing!

A couple things I forgot:
1) You're moving a lot of rocks, fish, water, etc. I would throw buy and throw down a 10 foot square of painter's plastic around where the tubs will go. Beware that it can be slippery, but it will stop all water and salt. Leaving the sheets of foam full size and putting some towels at the gap will be about as good and far less slippery.

2) I have an in-law arriving from out of state tomorrow (hence the cleaning tonight), but if you're still in a pickle then I may be able to volunteer some time. Please keep us all posted.

3) Put circulation pumps in the tanks with the livestock, set your house temp near where you want your water temp so you don't have to deal with heaters.

4) Same "You'll need to pick them up" category, but I have ten 5 gallon buckets and a spare fish tank only garden hose if you need them.

Cliff- didn't see this until late last night. I would definitely say that you should call your LFS for help. If they aren't equipped to do emergency work, call DNA, I've dealt with them fro more than 15 years and know they have the experience with failures in their tank service business and the space (if it comes to that) to host some of your corals until you are ready. I'm not certain of cost, if any, but it can't be any more than you already have at risk. Good luck and sorry I can't be of any more help.