Tank Automation

tesfeld

Premium Member
Alright. I'm looking for some real world info here about tank automation. I just read Serk's bit about Linux and X-10, many of you use Aquacontrollers, etc. For the record, I don't follow RC because it's just too much and I don't have the time. It wouldn't bother me at all if somebody posted links to related info instead of typing it out.

I keep hearing about electronic ballasts interfering with X-10 modules. Is this always true? Ways around it?
Anyone in the club using a Lighthouse Controller?

I want to automate my tank thoroughly and know that a controller is in my future. Web integration is very high on my list. I have an IP camera pointed at my tank that would tie in with it nicely. The ACIII controller is up there in features and price.

There are tons of DIY'ers out there like me and I'm hoping that some home grown solutions might be just as workable.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Tony,
I'm obviously rather biased towards my approach, but if ya' have any specific questions about it I'd be happy to help you out. Disclaimer though, mine's more of a glorified timer rather than an actual controller (I.E. No feedback TO the controlling system).
I've read stories of filters that you can put in front of electric ballasts to stop them from interfering with X10 modules, but as my ballasts are all the old-fashioned kind, I don't have any first hand experience with that issue, just tons of hear-say...

I just got my aquacontroller III installed last weekend and I am loving it so far. I am using it with their direct connect outlets and am not having any problems with ballast interference. The programming and built in web server is what sold me on this unit. I had a Reefkeeper controller but it had too many issues and I ended up loosing a bunch of livestock thanks to the reefkeeper. The ACIII is a huge step up.

I'm waiting on my AC3 to be delivered. I cannot wait to get the web server setup and consolidate my equipments further (i.e. do away with extra PH controller and ORP controller)

I have an ACII and love it. It does everything I could want. Yes with Icecap electronic ballasts it causes issues with the X-10. To be safe I have all magnetic ballast and when I have been testing it I have run into zero X-10 issues.

Tony ,
If you want to do X10 everything you need is on Smarthome.com . If you use applance modules you should be just fine. I use the X10 to control all of my lights even a leak detector and alarm, works great. I'd be glad to tell all I know ,just write or call . Also there is a store local that has most of the X10 equipment cheaper automatedoutlewet.com ...Thansk George

EDIT by Marc: Here's the link: http://automatedoutlet.com/home.php

I have had an AC pro for over two years. It has never failed me. It monitors ph, ORP, temp and conductivity (salinity).

It runs two Workhorse duel 96 PCs. Two Blue Wave 400w MH, Moon lights, Chillier, Kulk reactor, Calcium reactor, top off (Connected to conductivity probe), an ozone generator, Wave maker on two (used to be five) maxi jets and several fans.

Its saved my tank several times with alarms for temp and pH swings.

Best of all every morning and other times whenever I want, I sit down at my computer, retrieve data, and create a graph showing the weeks history of the tank. You can fine tune your ph cycles and keep every thing running stable.

Heres today's data and my current program.

Graph.jpg
alt="">

If Feed cycle Then PU1 OFF
RND 005/001 ON/OFF Then PU1 ON
If Feed cycle Then PU2 OFF
RND 005/001 ON/OFF Then PU2 ON
If Temp > 80.2 Then CIL ON
If Temp 14:00 Then LT4 ON
If Time > 09:00 Then LT4 OFF
If pH 07.99 Then CO2 ON
If Moon 000/000 Then MON ON
If Temp > 82.0 Then LT1 OFF