Surprise - Sh daddy had fry

[Made a deal with a very nice lady to pu her SHs this morning.

When I got there I was pleasently surprised by the fact that Daddy couldn't hold them any longer. We have about 150 fry right now and more to come.

Any input would be very welcomed.

What do I do next? :shocked:
What a glorious day this has been. BTW I do know that there may be a chance of one fry surviving.
:hearts: my horses. I should be able to put the adult new ones in with my other adults shortly. Babies are in nursery.]

[Do you know what type they are? Depending upon the size of the babies you should be able to feed them some live foods anything from rotifers to baby brine, either of which I would enrich (via Selcon or an equivalent) for the little guys. If you are using the baby brine try to get the de-capsulated brine cysts or de-capsulate them yourself in an effort to reduce/eliminate hydroids which can kill the babies.]

[Andy, thank you for the reply. I have not had a chance to ID them yet. I'm still trying to get things rearranged from being rearranged today. What a beautiful wonderful day this has been. Hard to believe that God made these itty bitty creatures. Pics to follow later of course.
TR]

[Very cool. I was wondering what an "SH" was at first. Sea horses!]

[No apologies necessary! I was glad someone else knew. :)]

[Have you noticed if the little ones are hitching yet? That can help you identify them cause some species are benthic (hitch from birth) other are pelagic (float around). The pelagic ones need a kriesel (sp?) type tank to keep them off the top cause they like to snick air and it kills them. No worries tho cause you can make one very inexpensively with a piece of airline tubing and a plastic bowl from walmart (or wherever, I think petco and petsmart have them too) The kind shaped like this (_) flat on two sides. Drill a hole halfway down one of the curved sides and insert the airline. I always seal it off with superglue on the outside. Turn the air on slowly until you start to see the brine shrimp swirl around. They don't have to swirl fast. Slowly is better so the babies can catch them. I use this setup for all my sh babies. I think it helps with the benthic ones too cause it keeps the bs floating by their little snouts.

I leave the lights on 24/7 for the first week so they can eat nonstop. I've had better results that way. The more nutrition in the beginning be better their chances.

Try them on baby brine shrimp first. If they are Reidi fry they will need rotifers, then copepods, then bbs. Most of the others will eat bbs from the beginning tho.

Hope this helps! Hope I explained everything right, it has been a long day. Let me know if you can't understand my ramblings.

laura]

[Maybe these will help where my explanation lacked.

2004997569306989593392.jpg
alt="">

2004997013265659403989.jpg
alt="">

stick the airline in like a quarter to 1/2 inch so that the bubbles run up along the side.

This is just my method, it is by no means the only way to raise sh babies. I'd say if they are floaters to try to do something to keep them off the surface. HTH.

laura]

[Laura, thank you for your posts. Your setup is almost like what I have. They are not hitching yet but I can see, believe it or not, their little snouts clamping down on the BBS. I've been feeding every few hours. I was so worried about the wc but made it ok. Today is day three and so far no bodies to report. I have not left light on but we do have a street light that shines in thru the window and moonlight when the sky is clear. My computer decided it didn't like my camera. I can not get my pics to upload from camera.]

[Andy, I did an id check on one of the web sites.
The description matches H. reidi better than H. kuda.
Short crown, can't tell about cheek spin, spots on body , some stripes but stripes are not even on the tail. One is a beautiful white/beige and female, Daddy male is dusty rose/burnt red(his first 'litter'(?)), second male is dark black/charcoal gray, third male is yellow/beige with spots more so than strips.
My original is H. erectus with his tall pointed crown, yellow, stripes/diamond spots.]

[Faith, if they survive I am going to have to do something. Maybe buy more tanks?!!? I have never tried so hard to take care of something so small. The wchanges are going a little smoother.]

texasranchers wrote:

[Hi TR! I know you are so excited about your little SH, I know you will be a great Mom to them! I hope before too long you can get us some pics. I know it must be so awesome.

Have fun!

Cindy]

[If you haven't yet, go to Seahorses.org its the premier seahorse sight. Also, consider the hatch n' feeder -- its a very simple setup for continuous feeding of live brine shrimp.]

texasranchers wrote:

[TR, the pics of those frys are so awesome! I can't believe there are so many of them. That's really neat!

Cindy]