Sump - Please don't laugh too hard

Malefactor

Membership Expired
So, this was done after a 6 pack of beer and next to no sleep... I'm not concerned with looks for this thing obviously.

So, please don't laugh... Water parameters still read 0 for everything, but the tank just /looks/ like it's dirty... Probably not nearly as bad i think it is, but with the Cyano that's still left and some debris on the sand... I just don't wanna take chances. So, i decided it was time to get the sump done ASAP since i have a skimmer now to make use of it. Here's the results... Basic concept... Umm, i haven't decided. There's 2 ways this can go... So, advice appreciated!!!

alt="">

alt="">

So, the way it's divided is:

Water enters through the small section in the Top Left. This keeps the water level full for the siphon on the intake so that it's not as noisy. Where it overflows to is the first part of the refugium. I'll have Caulerpa (spelling?) and Chaeto in here. From there, it can overflow into the middle section, or take the run behind it... The run behind it will have either a divider that run higher and forces some water run off to enter the far end into the last section. Or, i'll be drilling holes through the two panes of glass separating them and running 1 inch PVC as a gateway. Probably 2 of these? to allow water flow as needed / wanted... Now... Here's where i'm not sure what to do about this...

Do i A) make the center part the skimmer/return section, or B) make the last stage my skimmer/return section?

The other section (not skimmer / return) will be LOW flow refugium and fry raising stage that will be separated by 1 inch PVC and drilled to allow flow between it and the refugium section (so, if i drilled the two panes for the last section to be the refugium that would work. Otherwise, i'd have to section off to allow run off that way from the back side and drill holes through the other piece to allow water movement through it. Whichever i do, i'll have ball valves to open / close the system at that point depending on if there's fry in there or not. The purpose of this is to have the total volume of the tank for stability of parameters if there's fry in there for highest chance of survival. I'll have the pvc that separates the section filled with Poret Foam while fry are in and ONLY when fry are in so that i can clean it out daily from debris and not ally anything to pass through...

So, that's the idea i had and the crappy, albeit semi effective way i've gone about it in my inebriated state *lol*