Sump is leaking

Duece

Premium Member
Help! My sump has a slow leak at about 1 gallon per hour (guessing) and I need to get it out. I have a 90 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump underneath. My problem is two-part.

1st: I need to get that sump out and the only way to do that is to take a wooden support from the middle of the stand to be able to wiggle it out of there. I am not sure the stand can support the 90 gallon tank (water, lots and lots of rock, and lots of sand) while I do this.

2nd: It is easier to remove the wooden support on the back of the tank than the front of the tank but I need to be able to move this thing and would like to do it without completely tearing the tank appart.

Does anybody have any tips on moving a heavy tank and stand without completely taking everything out?

For now I am just going to add more saltwater to the tank to replace the water that is leaking out and tackle this beast tomorrow.

I am in Arlington and may need some muscle if anybody has any laying around.

Marc has. What about cutting a hole in the side of the stand and taking it out that way and then putting a door over the hole?

I was told that a stand would be able to support the tank if you removed most of the water before taking out the center post, just enough in the bottom to support the livestock. That said I didn't have to because I was able to drain the sump and tilt it just enough to get it out. I did have to take a door and hinges off the stand to do so. How did it go into the stand?

Cutting a hole in the side is an idea. The sump went in through the back before the tank had water in it. I did have to take the center support out to do it though.

Found the article where he put one in the side of his stand.

http://www.melevsreef.com/install_sump.html

Is there possibly a way to use, maybe, a 2X6 under the top of the frame of the stand, and supported behind the sump, and supported out in front of the stand far enough, a couple of feet, maybe, to be able to still pull the sump out of there?

Or, maybe, install a 2X6, or 2X8 inside and up under the front of the top of the stand. Screw it and/or clamp it in place. Surely a 2X8 will carry that weight, particularly if you drain some water, but probably wouldn't need to with that extra support. Leave it in there is what I would do - screw and glue it permanently in place. You could put a 2X4 at each end to support the ends, or even a 1X4. Then take out the front support whenever you want. Just an idea.

David

Here's what I did with my 55g years ago to remove the center support with a tank full of water above: http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html

What kind of sump do you have (glass or acrylic) and where is the leak specifically?

Well, I got it via the method of cutting an opening in the side which I will later finish out and make into an access panel for future use if necessary. I have a glass sump that I actually bought from someone who was only using it as a weird little tank with the hole plugged. It had one small compartment on the left side of the tank so I installed another divider to make it a three compartment tank. I am not 100% sure where the leak is but I suspect it was along the seal at the bottom of the tank. I just need to get this thing fixed temporarily because I am hoping to upgrade to a larger tank in the near future and also hope to build a better sump. So, I just got the silicone caulk out and went crazy. I am waiting for it to dry now so I can wiggle it around and see if any water comes out. I have it sitting in the garage with about 8 inches of water in it now and it is still dry but I still need to give it a wiggle test.

I actually just siliconed around the outer plastic ridge that went around the base and up the corners. Not ideal, I know, but it hopefully it will last until I get a new tank. I didn't want to empty out the refugium and all its' sand, plants, and critters.

There actually wasn't any silicone on the outside where I did this. It looks like this was a type of black plastic mold that went around the corners. I think that the silicone would have been inside where the pieces of glass meet. Basically, I didn't fix the leak but instead sealed it off from the outside where it might have a chance to get out. It's janky...I know :)