Suggestions on a new skimmer?

Heath

Membership Expired
The pump on my current skimmer is taking a dump, and I dont think it's worth it to buy a new pump since I've always felt the skimmer was a little undersized for my tank. Im debating between the Vertex Omega 150 and the Reef Octopus Diablo XS 160. They both use the same pump, but it looks like the Vertex is easier to take apart for cleaning. On the other hand, I prefer a gate valve over the wedge pipe the vertex offers.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

My tank is a 120 with a mild bioload, and I don't intend to add any more fish to the tank. One of my biggest constraints is the footprint of the skimmer, so I can't exceed 12 inches on one of the footprint dimensions.

Thanks in advance.

Look at bubble magus curve also it's like vertex but internal pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have loved my CoralVue skimmer and I just went through a warranty claim on my 2 year old xp3000ext that went incredible smooth. Their customer service was quick to not only replace the part that messed up, the pump shaft, but the entire pump itself just in case. I received the replacement within two days and was back in business. They will always be my first choice from now on. That, and it pulls out some nasty stuff with no hassle as tuning it was a breeze.

about a month ago I happend to catch a local supplier/OEM (out of Arlington) at DNA. They were featuring a new skimmer that is a small footprint, cone with a DC pump and slide gate. The prices they were showing were very very competitive. I'm not sure of the availabity but in talking with them there are a few LFS's that are testing them and may have them in stock or be able to get one. I'm pretty sure they go by Reef Live (not Reef Life)

@kuyatwo wrote:
Look at bubble magus curve also it's like vertex but internal pump Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
+1 best bag for your buck. I have a curve 5
My brother has the curve 9 on his 120 now. He use to have the extreme160. Curve 9 is way better but it is loud.

I have the SWC Xtreme 160 on my 100 and it has operated flawlessly, it's a lot quieter than a lot of the other skimmers I've heard. I also like that it's footprint is small (9" x 7" x 20.6") while allowing for a deep water placement compared to others that only allow 6 - 7" max (recommended water depth of 7-10 inches for this one).

It doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles of the new gen skimmers but for 1/2 the price in some cases (it runs about $250ish) it's worth it to me.

i have the diablo sx225 i like it. its basically a xp2000sss but it uses a sicce psk1000. its a little on the loud side but thats compared to my tunze 9410 that i use to have.

@pjracer wrote:
Swc 160 is a good skimmer. I liked it a lot when I had a tank that size said:
Not trying to start a argument with you or Airstream. But the SWC is not the way to go. It is a bubble magus copy. Besides they are discontinuing the atman pump.
You best bet is the get the new and improved pump of the bubble magus curve.

I'm thinking I'll go with the sea side aquatics version of the bubble magus curve since it has a sicce pump. I'm not familiar with the pump on the bubble magus equipment.

But everything I've read about the curve gives it a good review.