Strange Red worm, Thingy

Ok, I don't have a clue where this came form or how it got in the refugium, but it's there. We have a strange looking red worm thingy, that is about 1 to 2 inches when fully extended out of the live rock crevese it's residing in. It's red or maroon with like spiny looking ridges along both sides, it ducks back in the rock when the light comes on or hen we go over to try to take a pic of it I laid on the floor next to the refuge last night in the dark for over an hour and everytime I saw it I would get ready to take the pic and when I moved just alittle bit it would suck it self back in the rock. Any ideas?

Well turns out there's like three of them. They kind of look like small bristle worms. One of them is alittle bigger than the other two and it's more white than red. I'm still trying to get a picture though. I'm gonna try the flashlight tonight and see if it works.

No need for a pic. I did a google search for it and this is exactly what it is.
http://burtonbiology.com/photos/2-10/bristleworm5.JPG a bristle worm. Three to be exact. I don't get it, I don't know where they came from. I didn't buy any and haven't bought any live rock in a month and the live rock I did buy was newly cured and that was a long while back a month at the least. Do they just pop up out of no where, lol.

Yes, they hitchhike in, can spawn, and of course crawl anywhere in your system via plumbing or flow.

So they're ok then? I read up on them and there seems to be alot of mixed thoughts on wheather they are good or bad. What is the thought on this forum as far as they go. I know I saw a video on your website of one in your refug.

Bristleworms are detrivores, and are fine. Don't touch them or you may get stung by the bristles (or needles), and if you do end up getting stung, soak the affected area in vinegar for 5 minutes and they will dissolve away.

You don't have to worry about them unless you find a huge one (12" to 72" long). Those we usually remove because they are so big they need to eat!

You don't have to worry about them unless you find a huge one (12" to 72" long). Those we usually remove because they are so big they need to eat! said:
:twisted: Time to get out the Harpoon when they get that size :D