Stock Question.

With the realization that the cinnamon clownfish I will be getting will probably breed, I need to know a fish that can hold its own. Right now I have a gramma and plan on getting a dwarf angel (Probably the Cherub angelfish). I know these two fish will have no problem defending themselves against the "Happy Couple" [smilie=lol.gif] I was planning on a firefish but the clowns will probably take him [smilie=sadsmile.gif] So, with that being said, what fish do you recommend me getting that is compatible with the stock listed and can stand up for himself when the clowns try to bully it?

A blue damsel for color and pure pugnaciousness, perhaps a blue devil or a starkii, as they stay small...or, even the common yellow tails. All are gorgeous and capable of handling themselves, I should think. [smilie=devil.gif]

@Mikii wrote:
Won't the damsel attack them? I heard they were very aggressive? said:
Yes when the damsel gets large enough it will kill fish much larger than themselves. Unless your planing a moderately aggressive tank stay away from damsels. I had 3 in a 180 gallon kill 2 tangs and another fish before I could remove them. If I remember correctly I had a domino damsel and 2 blue devils.

Mike

Okay, thats exactly what I had thought. Any one else have any suggestions? I would like to know a fish that can co-exist with everyone. It needs to be peacfull enough, but big enough to fend off the clowns when they get in "protective mode"

@mikebow16 wrote:
[I]@Mikii wrote:[/I][quote="Won't the damsel attack them? I heard they were very aggressive? said:
Yes when the damsel gets large enough it will kill fish much larger than themselves. Unless your planing a moderately aggressive tank stay away from damsels. I had 3 in a 180 gallon kill 2 tangs and another fish before I could remove them. If I remember correctly I had a domino damsel and 2 blue devils.

Mike"]
OK, maybe I should not have included blue devil damsels in my recommendations, but, I still think the other two species would work. Blue devils and dominos are very aggressive damsels, but, not all damsels are that bad. The yellow tails, Chrysiptera parasema, and, the Starkii, C. starkii, that I suggested are not nearly that aggressive, only moderately so, and, both stay small. I think with your current fish list and tank size, you already have a semi-aggressive community that will, before long, be tyrannized by your clownfish pair, so, adding a damsel now, as the last fish addition could work well. Personally, I would stay away from the gobies and blennies as I think they are too passive and would not fare well with the clowns. Anyway, just my .02. [smilie=hi.gif]

Well Alex just saved me loads! He helped me out with this and on top of all your guys' .02 I am not going to even consider damsels. I just wanted to run the idea through you. Thanks Reef Remedies amd Thanks DFWMAS!

I had a lawnmower blenny who held his own when it came to my tomato clowns. Just give the goby/blenny a barncle cluster or the like to take refuge.

I have a starry blenny living in the same tank with a breeding pair of ocellaris clowns and he does just fine. My coral beauty occasionally spends time coming up to the blenny and giving him the tail push, and he just sits there and ignores it.

You don't really really need to worry about getting a fish that can hold its own with a Cinnamon clown. Yeah they're aggressive, but I've had Maroons and they're about the same, if not more aggressive. The only thing they're aggressive towards is your hand and smaller fish that come near their eggs, but I think you're worrying a little too much about how aggressive the fish is going to be. Plus, it's much harder than you think to get the fish to breed.

Just get a fish that can coexist in a reef. Just don't get damsels. Blennies, Gobies, hawkfish, Pygmy angels, pretty much all fish can live happily with a clown.

Okay, that made my day! I will still look into other possibilities but I am pretty sure this is what I am going with.

Just want to get your opinion on something else. Pink Skunk Clownfish or Cinnamon? These are the two that I want, which one do you think would be the better move?

@Heathd wrote:
Whichever you think looks better. Out of those two said:
I did chose whichever one I thought looked better! In my signature you can see a link to my build log. If you check back on thursday or friday (Depending on when I pick them up) you'll see what I got!